R.O unit

hserock

need suggestions on an r.o unit for 55 gallon
I want the most affordable, with the best results.
There are alot of different gpd and price ranges, I am confused.
I am considering this one. Coralife Pure-Flo II?????
Help
I'm not even sure how these things work other than filtering the water part lol.
school me folks. :help:

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Hserock
need suggestions on an r.o unit for 55 gallon
I want the most affordable, with the best results.
There are alot of different gpd and price ranges, I am confused.
I am considering this one. Coralife Pure-Flo II?????
Help
I'm not even sure how these things work other than filtering the water part lol.
school me folks. :help:
Sorry, I don't know a lot about them. Since I have a tank that evaporates a large bit of water a day (about 5 gallons) I went with a big RO/DI.
If you want to go with a reef tank, get the RO/DI combo. An RO by itself will still leave some contaminants in the water. That's about all the help I can provide.

maelv

I just purchased an AIRWATERICE unit.....which happens to be the website name....I got the Compact Reefer unit....came assembled, with directions...SO EASY to hook up and use. I also purchased a hose adapter, so I could have it hooked up to my washer connection. And the float valve, so I could turn have it going into my 32 gallon trash can as extra water for water changes etc.... Total was about $178 after shipping...excellent unit if you ask me. It is an RO/DI unit. And it comes with a TDS meter, which measures total disolved substances (I beleive that is what the acronym stands for)...which should be at 0....hope this helps
Unit $139
Float Valve $12
Hose adapter and Y: $9
Shipping: $17

1journeyman

my tank evaporates alot as well.
Is this because of the lighting?
I know mine is, and the fans blowing over it to cool it, and the high flow through sump/refugium.

maelv

Will she truly be evaporating that much off a 55 gallon? I believe I evaporate about 2.5 gallons on a 135 gallon....but my room doesn't get that hot.....
Welcome to the boards HSEROCKS.... :cheer:

joncat24

i have the coralife ro/di unit ...50gpd. Very nice unit with good hookup instructions...got it for $150 including shipping

1journeyman

Originally Posted by maelv
Will she truly be evaporating that much off a 55 gallon? I believe I evaporate about 2.5 gallons on a 135 gallon....but my room doesn't get that hot.....
Welcome to the boards HSEROCKS.... :cheer:
No, I wouldn't think so. But she said she was... I guess if her lighting is intense it could be losing a few gallons a day.

hserock

i'm adding a gallon every other day or so.
I have orbit 4-65 watt w/lunar are my lights too much???

1journeyman

No mam, not even close to too much light. The reef is a very bright place. Are those Power Compacts?

fallnhorse

I have the exact same setup. I like it a lot. Coralline loves it, plus my mushrooms, leather, and kenya coral. I have the same rate of evaporation.