r/o units

Hi, I started to use r/o water in my tank instead of tap water, seeing a big difference I think I should get a unit. 92 gallon tank with about 170 pounds of live rock, fish and some corals. What's the best brand and how do they even work? Do you install it in your tank or do you hook it up to your facuet. When I do my 20% changes I use a syphining system (python) to take out and add the water. Will the r/o unit work with that?

kris

No r/o unit will work with a python. They are designed to hook up to your faucet or totally independent units. They only produce small amounts of water per day. With a tank as big as yours it will probably take a few days to get enough for a water change. I recommend getting one from not the lfs but home depot. I got a unit for $99.99 which fits under the sink and runs its own seperate faucet (like through the sprayer spot. Any way you look at it they are spendy and a pain in the ass, but your fish will really appreciate and inverts actually require it. Good Luck

Thanks for your help Kris. I did go to one home depot and ofcourse they dont carry them any more. But, I'll keep looking.
Originally posted by Kris:
No r/o unit will work with a python. They are designed to hook up to your faucet or totally independent units. They only produce small amounts of water per day. With a tank as big as yours it will probably take a few days to get enough for a water change. I recommend getting one from not the lfs but home depot. I got a unit for $99.99 which fits under the sink and runs its own seperate faucet (like through the sprayer spot. Any way you look at it they are spendy and a pain in the ass, but your fish will really appreciate and inverts actually require it. Good Luck

homer

Hey Kris, When you bought that R/O unit at H/D Does it say R/O unit? Or does it say its just a filtering system? Thanks
[This message has been edited by Homer (edited 03-10-2000).]

renee911

I am a novice at this stuff.
For Christmas we gave my mother a 25 gallon
tank and I have been helping her with the set
up. She has 5 humpback shrimp, one damsel, and on tang. It has live rock in it and a bed of live sand.
What is R/O water?