Rainbow Urchin

stw280

Would anyone recomend or have any experience with Rainbow Urchins in reef tanks. I have some zoos, mushroom coral, and a goniopora. I understand that they could possibly hurt some corals. Any info would be appreciated.

viper_930

Urchins also eat coraline algea. They can help it spread though, because when they scrub the rocks the coraline turns into spores and settles elswhere in the tank. But they do leave spots where the coraline has been eaten.

clarkiiboi

I haven't heard of rainbow urchins, but I am in the same boat as you. Wanting to add the "best" one, if possible in a reef. Bang can you give more details? A bump for you stw280, and I will tag along. :D

fishtanker

i have 3 different types of urchins (longspine, pincushion, and pencil). they are great at grazing hair algae off the rocks and they do eat quite a bit of coralline but like said they help to spread it. i've had no problems with them eating corals. i have them all in tanks with soft and hard corals.

bang guy

Originally posted by schneidts
common name?

Rock-boring Urchin I think.
Fishtanker - Your Pencil doesn't eat any of your corals? Do you have any polyps?

fishtanker

i had my pencil in both my 125reef, that has gsp's and clove polyps, and now he's in my 110 with only anthellia and xenia. he hasn't touched anything yet.