RAR...what is it?

mr_x

i'm talking about acan lordhowensis, and how you can purchase a completely healthy colony, put it in your tank, and it does well. it eats, it's fully inflated, it looks beautiful. then all of the sudden, it starts rapidly receding, and gives you no explanation why.
i have named this RAR- rapid acan recession.
this has happened to me and it's happened to other reefers.
my acan was a large colony that i purchased from a local store. it was very healthy there, and was also very healthy in my system for a couple months. i fragged it a few times and sold a few pieces which are still doing well in other people's tanks.
the location of this colony was right in the middle of a whole bunch of other colonies i have. none of those pieces show any signs of distress.
suddenly, it started shriveling up. if appeared very flat, and would not expose it's feeding tentacles at night. mouths gaped open a bit as well.
then each day, more and more pure white skeleton was exposed, until it was completely gone.
i have also sent pieces of colonies that are still doing well in my tank, to other reefers, who ran into the same mass recession.
unfortunately, i didn't record this with photos. i will if it happens again.
does anyone have insight about this?

05xrunner

hmmmm all the acans I have had I never had any die on me..heck I have had some that were on the verge of death and came back great

mr_x

so, that is your insight about my post? thanks for the words of wisdom!
how many acans are "all the acans you have had"? 100? 150?

05xrunner

i have probably had about 60 different acans in my time..never had any problems with any and never lost one in my tank

mr_x

well, that's great! you must be one of those super reefers. now i'm at the point where i am wondering if you actually have something even remotely valuable to add to this thread.

spanko

Here is something Doug.
"If not otherwise explained, slow tissue recession may be a sign of starvation. Careful target feeding as described previously may help this situation."
"I believe that with an extremely high amount of food, you'll get the tissue to grow great and the coral will look awesome for a while. As time goes on, the tissue outgrows the skeleton obviously, which is not good. The tissue needs something to come out of- ie, the skeleton. If not the tissue tends to spread like an encrusting coral, over the rock or in between the larger polyps (as seen in pic above). The tissue may look gresat initially, and you think its "growing" great, but in fact its only the skin thats growing. Imagine this on a human. Over time the flow or something else will cause a small tear in the flesh, and the tissue has no skeleton to retract into (to heal or "re-arrange" itself). Thus leading to tissue recession. "

05xrunner

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2960337
well, that's great! you must be one of those super reefers. now i'm at the point where i am wondering if you actually have something even remotely valuable to add to this thread.
Who twisted your panties in a bunch...I personally have no idea how you kill acans..they are almost imposable to kill it seems. i have had a piece of slim flesh cut off one the size of a crumb and few months later it was a full head. Just cause you cant seem to keep them doesnt mean there is some kind of issue with them.

mr_x

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
http:///forum/post/2960375
Who twisted your panties in a bunch...I personally have no idea how you kill acans..they are almost imposable to kill it seems. i have had a piece of slim flesh cut off one the size of a crumb and few months later it was a full head. Just cause you cant seem to keep them doesnt mean there is some kind of issue with them.
again, your response shows me the value of your limited intelligence in reference to this topic. if you don't have something pertinent to add, move on to another thread.

veni vidi vici

Ive had small colonies recede and fall out of skeleton.I believe it is because they where small,fragile and weak. Another contributor i believe in my case was to much flow,they would get hit with random currents and i dont think they where strong enough to survive.

05xrunner

http:///forum/post/2960449
again, your response shows me the value of your limited intelligence in reference to this topic. if you don't have something pertinent to add, move on to another thread.
I guess I dont have any intelligence in this topic because I have no problems keeping them alive.

mr_x

for people that are actually trying to learn something here, and not just bust other peple's balls, i found an interesting thread on the much larger forum. just do a search for "help chalices are melting away" in the lps keepers forum. apparently they are leaning towards the parasite
and to the clown from pittsburgh that feels he needs to tell everyone he has a 4 year old vehicle, and that no corals ever die in his tank, and keeps 60 acans, yet he's not a commercial entity, get a life.

meowzer

http:///forum/post/2960752
for people that are actually trying to learn something here, and not just bust other peple's balls, i found an interesting thread on the much larger forum. just do a search for "help chalices are melting away" in the lps keepers forum. apparently they are leaning towards the parasite
and to the clown from pittsburgh that feels he needs to tell everyone he has a 4 year old vehicle, and that no corals ever die in his tank, and keeps 60 acans, yet he's not a commercial entity, get a life.
I'm sorry....couldn't help it...Hope you figure out your problem...
BTW I have a 4 year old mustang

05xrunner

http:///forum/post/2960752
AWWWWW someone in a bad mood....So where do you get any type of commercial crap. I never said I had 60 right at this moment...I have had 60+ over my time past few tanks..I guess you where to busy trying to take down parliament to realize that one

spiderwoman

I witnessed a similar thing in my larger tank 2 weeks ago. All of a sudden my 2 largest colonies looked like they had started to melt away. I checked all parameters that I had a test for the and the only one that was out of whack IMO was alkalinity. Earlier I had problems keeping alkalinity up and started dosing with a dosing pump. My mistake was not test after a few days and by the time I did test, my alkalinity was over 12. All of my SPS frags basically pealed off in a night, elegance didn't look too happy and my Darth Maul frag melted away.
Alkalinity is now little over 10 and those 2 nearly-melted Acan's are coming back to life.

wattsupdoc

I have had my alkalinity up over 14 several times before. With no dire effects. The higher level is not an issue it's the swing that can be, if the PH swings with it. Acans are generally a decently hardy specimen. However, I have had similar results with my LHA. I have only had the one specimen which had 6 heads, Was doing fine, then suddenly started receding. All are gone now, while other more demanding (supposedly)right next to it thrive. I have had same similar experiences with zoanthid colonies. sudden mysterious recession. all but 1 of these receding colonies are now completely gone. The one that is still remaining is actually making a comeback now. I have no idea why....

afboundguy

I've only lost 2 since I've started collecting and I attribute one to my rigorous dipping method and the other one to that and who knows. The first one I lost was relatively freshly cut from the LFS and I dipped it in 6 hour interceptor, 10 min iodine and 10 second freshwater dip and it lasted about 2 weeks. It just melted away. It was in a kinda high flow area so that might have had something to do with it. The second one melted away during dipping. It was an acan in rough shape that had lost all color. I traded it for some cheap/extra SPS in my tank with the intentions of seeing if I could heal it. But halfway through the 6 hour interceptor dip I checked on it and it was off the skeleton. So IMO my dipping and flow have been the problems. But I have 18 acans right now that are fine with all the dipping I've put them through and I'd rather loose an acan in dipping than introduce a pest that would wipe out everything...

spiderwoman

I'm pretty sure the Acan's Mr X is talking about are ones that have been in the tank for a long time or at least for more than a few weeks.

mscarpena

This has been happning to a lot of people with the aussie version. I have heard a few things, but none have been confirmed. They like cooler water 74 to start. I have heard there are small crustations that eat there flesh, they like to be fed a lot, also there are some sort of sponges that live under the polyps and after a month or 2 the sponges die off and kill the acan, and last, but not least they like high magnesium about 1400. I had an acan some one offered me $700.00 for then a few monthe later I lost almost all the heads except about 8. It is slowly, but surely coming back, but it will be a while before it is the same. The issue I had is I switched from reefcrystals to Tropic Marin salt. My LPS really did not like the TM. Actually the worst move I have ever made in my 7 years of reefing. Also all my coraline algae died off. These are my toughts/ You guys can take them for what they are worth. Actually no one in my areas is buying any aussie acans. My LFS has not received a shipment of them since August.

wattsupdoc

I have heard of several occasions reefers having problems when switching salt. When you switched, how did you go about it? I tried switching a year ago, I use coralife, have for three years now. I bought a bucket of reef crystals and started doing 20% water changes with it. Around that time I had an SPS crash, lost all but 1 section of one colony. I didn't have much mind you, but did have a beautiful orange cap colony. As well several small colonies, and frags. At least 10 different species. I started getting STN, on a few, then suddenly RTN and bammm they were all done. I still cant put my finger on the culprit. I did a transfer at that time, to a larger system. Combined 2 tanks. This ended up being a good move. The larger tank still had some of each salt mix in it, but a lower percentage had been changed. I then switched back to coralife in desperation. I still dont know exactly what happened. I'm not saying it was the change, just wondering about your experience. I have had good luck with coralife, just thought it could be associated with a diatom /cyano problem I had been having.