Rate your Heater

mr. limpid

I think one of the most important piece of equipment for us Northerner's is the heater. Since I have stated up my 135 FOWLR I have gone thru 6 heaters, 2 are still running today, 4 jagers and 2 off brands. Currently running a 250wat jager and 1 300w off brand (don't remember the name). My last purchase was the 250 wat jager, right out of the box had it turn up to 96deg just get the tank to be at 78deg. then on the 58 day it was shocking me. Returned it a new one. So my question rate your heater, brand name, size heater, tank size it is heating and how long its been working.

jay0705

I had a marineland 300 watt for my 75gal. It sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!! Couldn't hold its temp for anything. Got a jager off hand can't rem the watt its rated to 106 gallons. Works good. Its been about 3 months now. Its the best I could get in my area. Marineland heater I was using to warm up my water change water. It stopped working!!!! Less than 4 months old and its shot. Horrible heater.

snakeblitz33

Although i live in louisiana, it does get a bit cold down here in the winter months. Definitely not as bad as what you all have to deal with.
I have used all kinds of heaters over the years. By far the best i have used is finnex titanium heaters. Im using one 500w finnex titanium heater on my 75g and it has never gone below 78F. Same for other tanks with the same heater.

sweatervest13

I am interested in looking at upgrading my heaters to one of those fancy titanium heaters.
Snake, would the finnex be your first choice?? Around how much did it set you back (if you don't mind me asking )?
It looks like you can buy the tubes separately from the controller?? I am not too familiar with the titanium heaters. Any thing to look out for on those?

snakeblitz33

Any titanium heater with a seperate temperature probe and possibly controller is worth it's weight in gold. A good heater with a controller can easily cost you $100, in any brand.
I have an Apex Jr, so I didn't have to purchase the finnex controller with it. I use my apex to monitor temperature. However, if you want a lot of redundancy, you could use not only the heaters controller, but also the Apex controller to make sure there are no mistakes.
Titaniums are some of the best... I swear by it.

mr. limpid

I've read some people claim they leak? Won Brothers Pro seam to be the cheapest, Finnex, then JBJ . Then thers Azoo not sure about them really really cheap.

snakeblitz33

I wouldn't buy Azoo... Won Brothers is pretty good.
Small Azoo powerheads though have been pretty good so far. I have had pretty good service out of the one that I have had for a while.

acrylic51

Personally I prefer Jali titanium heaters......Finnex is my next choice which I'll be running (2) for redundancy.....I'd warn all heater brands have their fair share of mishaps......For glass heaters my choice would be ebo hands down.....Won Brother titaniums I won't touch again.....to many failures and near meltdown through the bottom of a sump on an old 150 years ago......
As far as leaks, not sure what would leak from a titanium, and honestly have never heard of them leaking.....I do believe in redundancy, so I run (2) separate heaters on separate temp controllers, that will be backed up by my Apex......

mr. limpid

Who sells Jali titanium heaters I looked them up but only found others forms talking about them, no one selling them?

flower

I went with a titanium heater after my Marineland broke and shocked the tank...that heater was over 10 yrs old. Maybe they don't build stuff like they used to.
In the 35+ years I have kept fish (SW and FW) I have only purchased maybe 5 heaters. One of those I just never used and gave it away...that was the in-line heater. I went with seahorses and now, don't use a heater.

mr. limpid

I have one of those it is a 25wat clip on the top heater, I have no idea how old it is or who made it (its my back back up). I used on my 135 when both heater blew at once and it worked luckaly it was during the warmer months.

acrylic51

CustomAquatics is my source for Jali heaters......Like I said you can get good and bad of any brand.....Finnex which I chose for this setup has a reputation of faulty heaters.....Some will swear by them, so swear about them......Again redundancy and backups.....Still have my Jali's tucked away in the even Finnex lets me down......

mr. limpid

Thanks Shawn, I checked out the site and they are same price as finnex but there controller is cheaper than finnex. If this new jager heater goes again definitely going titanium.

acrylic51

I have both type controllers.....I actually prefer the Finnex digital controller over the Jali controller....I did find the Jali controller to be pretty accurate though.....

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/395161/rate-your-heater#post_3517785
I have both type controllers.....I actually prefer the Finnex digital controller over the Jali controller....I did find the Jali controller to be pretty accurate though.....
CustomAquatics has a great deal on the Finnex 500W titanium system (with controller) right now. Under $40.00 I really don't think I can pass it up. I might even get two for redundancy.

acrylic51

Was it the heater and basic controller for $40.00. Usually the package deals dont include the nicer components it seems.