Rather bored.

nigerbang

Havent been on in sometime..
Figured I would post a few random pics I have taken

The shadow from the brace in that last pic isnt as bad in person as it came out in the picture for some reason...
Tank looks pitiful.. Had a bad temp problem back in Feb. so I am just now getting intrested again after losing about $1000 worth of SPS..

flower

My tank has gone beyond 86+…for only a day…I didn’t lose anything but the Kenya trees drew up a little till things cooled down. I don’t have SPS coral, are they more sensitive to heat then soft corals and LPS?
I’m glad you didn’t get so discouraged that you would stop altogether. I can’t imagine how horrible I would feel if I had such a loss. I was thinking of getting some SPS coral but I am nervous, they all say expert level in care. At best I would say I am intermediate level.
My tank looks almost the same as yours now, and you called it pitiful…LOL…I think it looks lovely, but compared to what you must of had before, I understand.

nigerbang

lol.. 86 wasnt the issue.. It was the fact that the tank hit 65 because Im a moron and left a window open..lol...
Its def. purple.. That rock has been through a 29,92,180 and now my 120..
Few more pics...

flower

LOL I never even considered the cold…No kidding it is purple, I have red and orange more than I have purple. I love the purple. The orange always turns to red.
On SPS coral…since you are just bored…how much more difficult is it to keep them as compared to the soft and LPS corals? I was also told Kenya trees affects SPS corals, any thoughts on that?

nigerbang

In regards to SPS vs Softies and LPS.. You have to be careful.. Alot of LPS will sting the hell out of SPS... Esp. mushrooms vs SPS...
SPS is easy enough if you keep up with params and water changes and have a nice skimmer.. Makes it a lot easier.. and of course lighting.. SPS also requires more flow(not like blowing flesh off them though)
When they are growing and doing great thats awsome.. The slightest bump in the road (not 65 degrees.. that was more like hitting a mountain) they will show stress and alot of times they wont recover..
But if your a good reefkeeper than its only slighty more difficult than anything else..
A large part of the reason for the larger skimmer is to combat any kinda chemical warfare between neighbors and also help create better water quality.. My octo is rated for a 180 but I have it running on my 120..

flower

Wow, I didn’t know mushrooms even stung. I thought they were the most peaceful and fine to let just populate. So I have to thank you for that bit of info for sure!
Mind if I pick your brain a little more?
I also always do over kill on the filtration, I have a skimmer rated for a 200 on my 90g. I got it with the thought of …in case I get that bigger tank. I also run carbon, so warfare should be almost nothing in there. I have 175 X 2 14K MH lighting, so I am sure I have enough light.
My nitrates stay at around, 10 I can’t seem to get it to 0, but up to 20 is supposed to be safe according to the test instructions…will that do any harm?

nigerbang

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3112579

Wow, I didn’t know mushrooms even stung. I thought they were the most peaceful and fine to let just populate. So I have to thank you for that bit of info for sure!
Mind if I pick your brain a little more?
I also always do over kill on the filtration, I have a skimmer rated for a 200 on my 90g. I got it with the thought of …in case I get that bigger tank. I also run carbon, so warfare should be almost nothing in there. I have 175 X 2 14K MH lighting, so I am sure I have enough light.
My nitrates stay at around, 10 I can’t seem to get it to 0, but up to 20 is supposed to be safe according to the test instructions…will that do any harm?

Is it a standard 90? How deep is it?
Nitrate of around 10 is acceptable.. What kinda skimmer is it?
And what test kits are you using?

flower

Originally Posted by NigerBang
http:///forum/post/3112581
Is it a standard 90? How deep is it?
Nitrate of around 10 is acceptable.. What kinda skimmer is it?
And what test kits are you using?

Thanks for your help…
Yes a standard 90g. 22” deep and 48” long
I use different kinds of test kits..Marine master test kit by Instant Ocean, and separate tests by Seachem..I also have a phosphate one by Red Sea. Little dropper bottles and measuring tubes. I get to play chemistry once a week. LOL.
The skimmer is a coralife 225..it is huge and pulls so much sludge out I have a milk bottle with a tube to let the stuff drain into it, and I run it to draw only foam, they called it “dry”. I turn it off for a day when I feed the coral because it sucks everything out including the food.
Here is a picture of what the tank looks like ..picture is a few weeks old, so leather is a bit larger, I want to relocate it. I will have to watch where the mushrooms are…I have true blue and lots of neon stripe ones all over in different spots.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3112593

Thanks for your help…
Yes a standard 90g. 22” deep and 48” long
I use different kinds of test kits..Marine master test kit by Instant Ocean, and separate tests by Seachem..I also have a phosphate one by Red Sea. Little dropper bottles and measuring tubes. I get to play chemistry once a week. LOL.
The skimmer is a coralife 225..it is huge and pulls so much sludge out I have a milk bottle with a tube to let the stuff drain into it, and I run it to draw only foam, they called it “dry”. I turn it off for a day when I feed the coral because it sucks everything out including the food.
Here is a picture of what the tank looks like ..picture is a few weeks old, so leather is a bit larger, I want to relocate it. I will have to watch where the mushrooms are…I have true blue and lots of neon stripe ones all over in different spots.

Ok.. few things.. Superskimmers work REAL good when you mod them otherwise they can be iffy and overflow at the slightest change..
Take all those directors off the Koralia's.. Lots more of random flow.
150/175 watt bulbs are doing nothing to punch light down into the bottom portion of the tank..
phosphate kits are trash unless you throw some real money into one that can read super low.. Most will say 0 but its should be like 0.1 or things like that..
I love the aquascaping..
Not trying to be rude or bust balls or anything, just what I have learned over the years...
Example.. I took my SS220 off this tank and replaced it with a Reef octopus 150 this is what I ended up with after about 3 hours

and this after 1 day

I think its fair to say the SS wasnt living up to its true rating at all...
It was skimming like that for about 3 weeks trying to remove all the excess that was built up and not being skimmed out by the SS220...

flower

Ok.. few things.. Superskimmers work REAL good when you mod them otherwise they can be iffy and overflow at the slightest change.. I have No leaks yet.
Take all those directors off the Koralia's.. Lots more of random flow. Will Do!
150/175 watt bulbs are doing nothing to punch light down into the bottom portion of the tank.. So can’t I just keep SPS high in the tank?…This is my 4th set of lights, I don’t want to repurchase another set.
phosphate kits are trash unless you throw some real money into one that can read super low.. Most will say 0 but its should be like 0.1 or things like that.. the lowest mine has read is 0.1 so I am good on that one.
I love the aquascaping.. Thanks, I think I needs more rock toward the back.
The skimmer I have is brand new (4 months) so when I am ready for a new one I will upgrade. 1 - 2 years maybe. Mine pulled out that kind of junk when I first got it. That’s why I use an empty milk jug for collection. Do you think I should wait to get any SPS coral until I upgrade or will it be alright for now?

nigerbang

start sps at the bottom and work them towards the top over a few to get them used to your light.. Dunno what the "name" of the brain is..I had a brain fart.. I meant 0.01 on phosphate or reading lower... Not0.1

meowzer

Originally Posted by NigerBang
http:///forum/post/3112802
start sps at the bottom and work them towards the top over a few to get them used to your light.. Dunno what the "name" of the brain is..I had a brain fart.. I meant 0.01 on phosphate or reading lower... Not0.1
LOL....I know there are RED open brain...Green.....etc etc...yours looks rainbowish...that's why I ask...If you can remember, please let me know....I would love to get one with that coloring

nigerbang

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3112812
LOL....I know there are RED open brain...Green.....etc etc...yours looks rainbowish...that's why I ask...If you can remember, please let me know....I would love to get one with that coloring
I know the place I got it.. LOL... He does mail order...lol

nigerbang

Couple more pics..
Pissed Tricolor.. gotta color back up some..

Lunar palys

Possible Gobstoppers

Bad pic of Yuma

and no idea what these are...