raw cocktail shrimp

newty

i know there are several ways of initiating a cycle with live rock and sand. the most common reference is to use raw cocktail shrimp. i am unsure as to exactly what kind of shrimp to use. for example, does it matter what shrimp species you use? jumbo or small size? from a can, frozen or from a meat deli? does it matter if i comes from a shrimp ring (you know, the ones you see at parties)? or is any of the above ok?
newty.

newty

I was told by my LFS that there is no need to intitiate the cycle since the rock I am buying is fully cured, and would contain all the mature bacteria necessary for handling nitrogen waste loads. They basically said: get the rock, wait a couple days, get a crab or something like that, see if it is ok within a week or so, then add a fish and wait at least a month before adding another fish. They will also give me a cupful of their live sand to speed up the process of turning my CC into live CC. What do you guys think?

sagxman

I was told by my LFS that there is no need to intitiate the cycle since the rock I am buying is fully cured, and would contain all the mature bacteria necessary for handling nitrogen waste loads. They basically said: get the rock, wait a couple days, get a crab or something like that, see if it is ok within a week or so, then add a fish and wait at least a month before adding another fish. They will also give me a cupful of their live sand to speed up the process of turning my CC into live CC. What do you guys think?
I think your LFS is rushing you a bit to get the sale as quick as possible. Let it completely cycle before adding any livestock if possible. Also, the uncured rock will kick the cycle off faster than cured rock.