Re-Lighting The Nano

marvida

I currently have a 10 gallon tank in my office and am in the process of upgrading the lighting for the 4th time. Right now it has a 70W 10K Ushio and a 28W 03 PC. I am building a 150W MH fixture for it & need some input. I want to pull the PC off & light it with the MH only. I want something bluer than the 10K Ushio. Should I go with a 20K or a 14K ? BlueLine is the only 14K I have found so far. Also how much difference, if any, will there be in color by just moving to a 150W vs. the 70W?
Thanks!
Ken

marvida

With 70 you have 2 choices, 6500 or 10K. I want it to be bluer & brighter. Besides I haven't built a light for months.

no comment but i do have one question, about how much was it to build the 70w mh fixture with bulb and all (looking for altenatives on my 12g), or if your getting rid of yours how much would you sell it for?

wocka

how come on some MH ballasts it says not to touch the bulb, just the socket.. makes me curious. does it break or someting if u touch it?

marvida

To answer the questions, I bought the ballast on ---- for about $20. The bulb was $70 or so and I mounted it in a 500W halogen light fixture I paid $6 for. The 500W halogen bulb is the same length as the 70W HQI & the socket works for both. It's cooled with a 4" Radio Shack fan $20+. Total cost maybe $120 including all the wiring stuff. HQI's will break if you touch them & don't wipe them off with alcohol. Something about the oil on your hands. I know why & I've never tested it. I don't think I'll sell the 70W setup. It's a year old so the bulb is toast and the rest is hardly worth shipping.

marvida

You can touch them, you just have to wipe them off afterwards. I always wipe them off even if I wear cotton gloves. You just use rubbing alcohol.