Re-Plumbing my tank, what do you think?

triga22

I would like to redo my plumbing for just my output. Im using PVC and a mag-5 to push the water back into my tank. I have an elbow and thats it. I would like to switch over to 1'' black vinyl tubing and then put it on a tee connector and have to inputs where there is a directional U-tube. Please let me know if this would work. I have a few pics to give you an idea of what i would be using. Thanks

bpophoto79

I agree a SCWD would be a great addition to the setup. I'm going to add one as soon as i get up the motivation to take my current plumbing apart. Do it now before you wish you had later.

jherrin215

What is an SCWD?? Also can someone tell me why I can't see half of the pictures on this site?? I can see some and some I can't.

Originally Posted by jherrin215
http:///forum/post/2652974
What is an SCWD?? Also can someone tell me why I can't see half of the pictures on this site?? I can see some and some I can't.
Switching Current Water Director (SCWD)
* Produces waves with your existing aquarium pump
* The most energy-efficient aquarium wavemaker available
* Creates bidirectional water movement for your reef aquarium
SCWD uses your existing pump to create bidirectional water movement in your reef aquarium. Plumbed inline, SCWD directs incoming water to two alternating outputs, switching automatically at a rate depending on incoming pressure. It delivers quiet, smooth operation, and is clog-resistant. Features low back pressure so there’s no strain on your existing water pump, making SCWD the most energy efficient wavemaker available. Use with system pumps from 50-1,400 gph and maximum 5 psi. Completely waterproof; mount internally or externally for a wide variety of configurations. 4-1/2" x 5" x 2-3/4" deep. Uses 3/4" tubing. Use clamps to keep tubing in place (use stainless steel for external locations; plastic for internal).

scsinet

The one thing you need to be careful of when using a SCWD in this setup is to be sure that the inflow U-Tubes you are using as well as your tubing is able to handle the full flow objective independantly.
What i mean is that because an SCWD switches back and forth, only one inflow is working most or all of the time (one or the other). Therefore, it can cause a restriction in flow if the individual inflows are not sized to handle the full flow. Lots of folks set up this kind of thing with a pump that has a 3/4" output, then use 1/2" U-Tubes. They need to be sure to use 3/4" U-Tubes, for example.