Read any good books lately?

bigfoot

I plan to set up a reef aquarium in about a year, and have been trying to find good books on the subject. I've been doing freshwater succesfully for about 5 years, and think I'm ready for the big step up.
I rented the only reef book from my local library, copyright 1993, and it didnt take long to realize that the info is out of date. From what I've read on these message boards in the last month, it was pretty obvious there has been some major changes in technology in the last 10 years.
So Now I have to go buy some books. Could someone please recommend a couple good, up to date books on reef aquariums. The selection is enormous online, I really dont know where to start.
I plan to do a 90-120 gallon reef tank, and convert one of my freshwater 55 gallons to a fish only marine tank.
Thanks alot in advance.

killafins413

Alrighty, there are a few different groups of books; in my eyes. For starters, there are books on how to set up a marine/reef aquariums, some that are about the fish/invertebraes, some dedicated to maintaning these world creations, and then there are the mainstream all of the above books where you will get good information but may be broad and not answer all of your questions. But that is OK, that is what this website is for... I would recomend the New Marine Aquarist; usually expenisve of a book, and the New Marine Aquarium... Two different authors but look and have the good details. But what I recommend is for you to take a trip to your favorite bookstore and look through the books, check out the index and flip through pages. DON"T GET TRAPPED BY THE PICTURES... and decide on your own. I almost guarantee you that any book out there has some importance to you.

2nd vote for 'The Concientious Marine Aquarist'. I read this cover to cover the year before we set up our tank. Great book and fun to read. Highly recommended.
-Christine

drgriff

My lfs recommended a pretty good book for beginners, The Marine Aquarium Handbook by Martin A. Moe. It is ten years old but is a good overall book to describe the basics of the tank, chemistry, fish selection and diseases. I read it in about two days. The set up chapters were out of date. I used it as a starting point and researched the out of date stuff online.