Ready for corals?

inawe

Are there any general rules to follow in prep for adding corals? Water prams? Age of tank? etc... My tank is a little over a month, prams are all 0, calcium is 460ppm (by my testing...I think). What else? What are some good beginner corals that can be well supported by PC's?

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by inawe
Are there any general rules to follow in prep for adding corals? Water prams? Age of tank? etc... My tank is a little over a month, prams are all 0, calcium is 460ppm (by my testing...I think). What else? What are some good beginner corals that can be well supported by PC's?
Are you sure your cycle is finished completely and your perameters are stable? Mushrooms and polyps are good beginner corals.

rbaldino

Pretty much any soft coral is fine for beginners and will work well with PC lights. Zoos, Palys, mushrooms, leathers, trees, Xenia, etc. For some variety, frogspawn, torch, and hammer/anchor corals are also fairly easy and forgiving.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by rbaldino
Pretty much any soft coral is fine for beginners and will work well with PC lights. Zoos, Palys, mushrooms, leathers, trees, Xenia, etc. For some variety, frogspawn, torch, and hammer/anchor corals are also fairly easy and forgiving.
I agree with all you said except the xenia I think tend to do better in 6 month or older tank. but thats my expirience with it. some tanks it just doesnt do well in no matter how old the tank is.

rbaldino

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
I agree with all you said except the xenia I think tend to do better in 6 month or older tank. but thats my expirience with it. some tanks it just doesnt do well in no matter how old the tank is.
I wasn't taking into account the age of the tank, rather the basic difficulty of keeping the coral. Your point is valid, and I would add that Xenia is one of those strange corals that you can either have luck with or none at all, for no apparent reason.