Ready to get my new 75 GL tank

the puerco

I am fixing to get my new tank and i want to make sure i am getting everything that i need.
75 GL Reef Ready Tank and base, with VHO lights,a sump,an Skimmer,75LB of LS and 120LB of LR 3 Power Heads... is there anything else i might need... I want to create a reef with a few clowns and inverts...

jeo

75 lbs of live sand is probably not enough and 120 lbs of live rock is probably too much. I have about 250 lbs of sand and 100 lbs of live rock in my 75.

jeo

also if you are going to have a sump you need a return pump. You may or may not need some additional means of circulation like powerheads. You didn't mention little details like heaters, thermometer, algae magnet, pump/powerhead for your skimmer, plumbing, hydrometer, and what kind of canopy are you going to use with your vhos?

jeo

4-5"
My sandbed consists of 100 lbs of southdown, 2 20 lb bags of fake Ls, and then 2 5 gallong buckts of sand from a friends tank that were probably about 50 lbs each.

bheron

Hi Puerco,
Welcome! Maybe you've already done this - so sorry if you have. But please, please, please be sure to put in the time to research before you buy anything else and, expecially, before you put anything live into your tank. Trust me on this. If you spend an hour on this site researching the current posts AND searching old ones with the search feature you'll know what I mean. EVERYONE who has been where you are will agree the #1 thing is to be patient and do the research: read books (The Conscientous Marine Aquarist - by Fenner is considered one of the best), scour the internet, talk to your LSF (Local Fish Store), and without a doubt make visiting this site a daily habit. This site, by far, has been one of thesingle most educational things I've ever used!
It looks like you want a reef tank - good. You know what you want. Unfortunately that's one of the most complex systems to have - in comparison to a Fish Only with Live Rock (FOWLR) system.
Finally, I was where you were this time last year exactly. I am having to start my 75Gal tank over now after learning so much new info.
Take my advice (and I'm only a peppermint shrimp on this site) and do the following, AT MINIMUM, take a simple time to:
1) take your time, and dont give into impulses
2) please search two very recent threads in this site titled "The "DO NOT..." Advice List for Saltwater Aquarists" and "YOUR BIGGEST MISTAKE". Use the search menu on the top of the screen.
3) At least take a trip to your local library and take out the bok I mentioned above - at the very minimum read this and you'll know what I and many other people on this site are talking about.
Do those three to start and I promise you'll see what I mean and you'll increase your success tenfold in with only a few hours extra time. And...you'll grow to be even MORE attacted to this hobby! And I'm pretty much just a Newbie. Listen to those Sharks!
Good luck and stay in touch with this forum!! :)