***** Real Ocean Water

dutchswan

I have decided it is just easier to buy this stuff for my water changes, and keep a few gallons of distilled RO for evaporation topoff. Is there anything better than using this ***** product (ignorning cost)?
Does anyone konw of any pitfalls with this product? (besides the obvious answer of price?)

tangclownfish

Personally, because of cost, I use r/o water and instant ocean salt for water changes and distilled water for top offs. I really do not know if there is any different in *****'s water vs. r/o water.....

slice

Originally Posted by dutchswan
http:///forum/post/3298912
I have decided it is just easier to buy this stuff for my water changes, and keep a few gallons of distilled RO for evaporation topoff. Is there anything better than using this ***** product (ignorning cost)?
Does anyone konw of any pitfalls with this product? (besides the obvious answer of price?)
Until I can get my own RO/DI unit, I buy both fresh water and pre-mixed salt water from my LFS. I pay IIRC $.67/gal for the fresh and $.97/gal for the salt. They use IO salt mix, mixed to 1.026 sg.
I also have salt mix, but for $.97/gal...why not buy it and have it ready instantly?
I assume the ***** stuff is less expensive? I would see what salt mix they use or if they list the levels of needed components and compare to what you would mix yourself using IO or whatever...

dutchswan

Originally Posted by Slice
http:///forum/post/3298961
Until I can get my own RO/DI unit, I buy both fresh water and pre-mixed salt water from my LFS. I pay IIRC $.67/gal for the fresh and $.97/gal for the salt. They use IO salt mix, mixed to 1.026 sg.
I also have salt mix, but for $.97/gal...why not buy it and have it ready instantly?
I assume the ***** stuff is less expensive? I would see what salt mix they use or if they list the levels of needed components and compare to what you would mix yourself using IO or whatever...
Perhaps I should have made it more clear. They are selling actual Ocean water. This is water taken from the ocean, filtered, and is guaranteed to have 0 Nitrate, 0 Phosphate, and a pH of 8.3. This water is $11.99 for 5 gallons...so $2.40/gallon (about the same as a gallon of 89 Octane Gasoline here in Iowa)

http://www.*****.com/product/11884/P...oductname_link

dutchswan

Originally Posted by tangclownfish
http:///forum/post/3299008
Agreed! Water changes are gunna be expensive....

I figure I have about 40 gallons of actual water in my 47 gallon tank. If I change out 5 gallons every saturday, that is about a 12% water change each week, or almost 50% water change per month for $44/month. if that is too much water change, then good for me it will cost less.

flower

I rent a Culligan 5 stage RO unit for $39.99 a month, They take care of the filters, it has a TDS meter right on it to assure quality. I buy my salt by the bucket for $56.00, which lasts for 4 months for my 90g. I have a well, and filters would cost me big time.
I looked at the sea water ***** was selling, the filtering they do takes out all the good stuff the ocean had to offer. Wal-mart RO water or buy water from the LFS for $1.00 The ***** stuff is crazy expensive and not any better.
Making your own saltwater isn't all that hard, I can do it.

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!1 SAVE YOURSELF DONT BUY ANYTHING LIVE IN *****!!! they suck!lols lols hmmm 55x2.45= a huge amount of money that i wouldnt have hey flower the r/o unit you rent isnt for drinking because my dad has one like that in his nutrition club and it even has a built in u/v sterilizer and he rents it for 35$ would it work like the ones for aquariums?
its also a culligan
and if i can use it then that ggggggggggggggreat! ill save a lot of money .... lols

navigator

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3299050

Making your own saltwater isn't all that hard, I can do it.
True enough, Flower - as long as your first point about using RO to mix it isn't missed! I'm just glad you're moving away from the tap water, dutchswan =)

flower

Originally Posted by ernestpolska
http:///forum/post/3299056
NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!1 SAVE YOURSELF DONT BUY ANYTHING LIVE IN *****!!! they suck!lols lols hmmm 55x2.45= a huge amount of money that i wouldnt have hey flower the r/o unit you rent isnt for drinking because my dad has one like that in his nutrition club and it even has a built in u/v sterilizer and he rents it for 35$ would it work like the ones for aquariums?
its also a culligan
and if i can use it then that ggggggggggggggreat! ill save a lot of money .... lols

The Culligan guys sell drinking water, the RO water we buy at Wal-mart is to drink, the one I rent is good drinking water...soooo the drinking water your dad has is good for a fish tank!
So you can save allot of money!! LOLs

2quills

I don't know...for what it costs to buy that stuff within 10 months time for your tank you could buy a real nice R/O unit for that...and own it! What happens if you have an emergancy situation and half to do a 40-50% water change in a hurry and you run up to the store and they're out of the product?
I still stand behind the idea that an R/O unit just makes better sense. But that's just me!

btwk12

and plus after you have all that money invested in your tank you shouldnt trust anyone or anything when it comes to youre water its way to easy to mix it up yourself. i rent my r/o unit for 20.50 a month and they take care off all filters and a 50 gallon bag of salt is only 20$

lols that mean sme and flower are getiing ripped off by 15$ lols
and thats good to know that i can use the culligan...atleast i wont hav o pay 10 bucks everyweek for saltwater in my lfs
hey flower but does your culligan have a u/v in it/mine does ,would it make the water better or worse,i read that if i want to keep corals i cant hyave u/v sterilized water! is this true

S

swalchemist

"Personally, because of cost, I use r/o water and instant ocean salt for water changes and distilled water for top offs."
Agreed, make your own it's what THEY are doing, just charging you more for it in the end ;)

hey i couldnt find my post for a sec because i didnt t now they uploaded a pic for my status hehehe cool clown:) and besides lfs dont care about your tank they care about money!