Really dumb question about macroalgea

fishgirl

Does it grow all of a sudden in your reef tank like regular algea if water quality/conditions are good? Or do you have to "plant" some in your aquarium? Thanks in advance for humoring my stupid question.

mr . salty

SAMMY'S right. Although I too wish it would magically appear,it does need to be introduced into your tank.

fishgirl

if I order my rock from this site how will I know if I'm getting any? I would like some for my tangs to eat and some for decor, so I'm gonna want alot - my only lfs won't sell rock.

lionfish

LionFish says.....
Your post sounds exactly what I said when I bought a small batch at my LFS. GUESS WHAT.... after you get the stuff in it turns into a living nightmare. Let me put it this way, FishGirl, if you don't have a lot of tangs you're in for a world of trouble. I can't find half of the stuff in my tank because of that horrible Calerpa. If you do get any it better be in a small amount because this stuff spreads like wildfire... OH WAIT.. HMMM... WELL ACTUALLY ABOUT 10 TIMES WORSE THAN WILDFIRE. Word to the wise here.. think about what all you have in your tank and make sure that you are ready to deal with this stuff.