Really just need to vent

lexluethar

So I bought a rec. mushroom from swf.com about three weeks ago. Everything was going well, I got it to attach to some of my aggregate by placing it in a small plastic tub that had my aggregate in the bottom of it. It attached and I proceeded to glue it to another one of my larger live rocks.
I keep a close eye on it for about a week to make sure it was going to stick, and it did, at least for a little bit. Yesterday I woke up and couldn't find it. Either it got knocked off or it unattached itself from the rock. Now i can't find it anywhere

The only thing I haven't done is tear my tank apart looking for it. I just pisses me off because you pay so much money for such a small piece of coral and then it up and disappears.

Any suggestions? Tear apart the tank? Count it a goner?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2598258
So I bought a rec. mushroom from swf.com about three weeks ago. Everything was going well, I got it to attach to some of my aggregate by placing it in a small plastic tub that had my aggregate in the bottom of it. It attached and I proceeded to glue it to another one of my larger live rocks.
I keep a close eye on it for about a week to make sure it was going to stick, and it did, at least for a little bit. Yesterday I woke up and couldn't find it. Either it got knocked off or it unattached itself from the rock. Now i can't find it anywhere

The only thing I haven't done is tear my tank apart looking for it. I just pisses me off because you pay so much money for such a small piece of coral and then it up and disappears.

Any suggestions? Tear apart the tank? Count it a goner?
I have had it happen to me several time especially with shrooms. All I did is leave it be all of a sudden a month later I see this shroom appear. If its a ric though, IDK I may be inclined to dig it up.

lexluethar

Ya because of the price... I'll move some stuff around but i just got the tank where i wanted it too...
Its weird i have extremely high flow behind my rocks, so ANYTHING that ever dies, or any mushroom that detaches always just floats to the front, but the one thing that cost a decent amount of money doesn't do it...

perfectdark

http:///forum/post/2598270
Ya because of the price... I'll move some stuff around but i just got the tank where i wanted it too...
Its weird i have extremely high flow behind my rocks, so ANYTHING that ever dies, or any mushroom that detaches always just floats to the front, but the one thing that cost a decent amount of money doesn't do it...
LOL its always the way lex... Sorry to hear that. My scenario is always when I see a potential conflict between 2 corals. I move one away from the other, then a small piece of LR shifts, so I fix it. Then because of that a small frag I had placed somewhere falls, I try to grab it, it slides in the smallest hole in my LR. So I try to stick my hand in there, before I know it I have moved every piece of LR in my tank to get this small 4 polyp frag of zoas that wasnt part of my issues to begin with...
That has happened to me more times than I care to remember... so I feel your pain.

lexluethar

HAHA, yup had that happen too. That is why i've invented the poking stick. Thats right, poking stick. What you do is get a skewer (since that is how i feed my bta from time to time) and you can poke at corals or dead things behind your rocks and get them into a place where you can grab them :p
You situation is a bit different though, since you have hella more corals and stuff in your tank than me, so moving things becomes much more of a chore.

perfectdark

http:///forum/post/2598279
HAHA, yup had that happen too. That is why i've invented the poking stick. Thats right, poking stick. What you do is get a skewer (since that is how i feed my bta from time to time) and you can poke at corals or dead things behind your rocks and get them into a place where you can grab them :p
You situation is a bit different though, since you have hella more corals and stuff in your tank than me, so moving things becomes much more of a chore.
Yea now I have one of those home depot grabber tools. its the long flexible tube with the push button at the top. And these metal prongs come out and grab hold of anything you want. It works pretty good, but it is metal and I have to wash it off and dry it everytime I use it.

snakeblitz33

Yeah, those grabbers work, but you still can't get inside the tubing. I had a kent pro scraper that rusted from this inside out. I was scraping my glass one day and the thing snapped in twain and started leaking out rust. Not a good deal.

scopus tang

Lex, just a suggestion, but before you get going too far on tearing the tank apart, take a few minutes with a turkey baster to try sucking things out around the outer edges of your LR; I've pulled somethings out this way, that are sitting there just out of sight. It may save you tearing your system apart ~ may not. If you don't find it this way, though, as PD said, I'd go hunting.