really stupid question, i'm sure

erock412

what is a 50/50 bulb and can they be put in a standard florescent fixture? what bulbs do you need to grow coraline algae?

scopus tang

Originally Posted by ERock412
http:///forum/post/2902884
what is a 50/50 bulb and can they be put in a standard florescent fixture? what bulbs do you need to grow coraline algae?
No such thing as a stupid question - unless you're one of my students, and they come up with some doozies
. 50/50 bulbs are typically PC (Power Compact bulbs - at least the ones I'm familiar with), so they are actually two bulbs in one, one side is an actinic bulb, the other is typically 10,000K. To my knowledge they are not made for a standard fluorescent fixture. In my personal experience, the best bulbs for coralline algae growth are actinic PC bulbs - they are not the best bulbs to support most types of corals however. HTH.

reefman22

standard florescents do come in 50/50 but they are pretty rare and its suggested that you instead buy one blue actinic bulb and one 10,000K pure white bulb. if you are trying to house corals in your tank, it is recommended that you have both to offer the corals a full spectrum of light. coraline algae will grow with both, but if you are looking to have alot of coraline, you can try calcium or other supplements such as Purple-Up instead of basing your lighting off the coraline. hope it helped a little
reefman