Really want to start keeping SPS, equipment?

greenreefer

I have been keeping reef tanks for a little over 5 years, but mostly softies and lps. I've tried a couple os sps over the years, but without much luck. I recently setup a 125 and would like to set it up as a mixed reef. Right it is setup it is setup with an 4 foot 8 bulb t5 fixture (grimreefer on -- picked the bulb combo) and I'll be adding a 20k 250w MH over the other 2 feet. I am running a 3 chamber sump (33 long) including 1 chamber as a fuge. I have octopus NW 200 for my skimmer, mag 7 for return pump, 2 250w heaters, 1 koralia 4, 1 modded mj1200, and 3 unmodded mj1200s. I currently dose seachem supliments 2 times a week (complete, calcium, carbonate, iodine, magnesium, and strontium) and I use oceanic salt. Right now I manually top off every night, but would like to get a ATO soon. Any new equipment or equipmet changes I should make before trying SPS again. I have a monti caps in their now and it seems to be doing fine. I'm not in a rush, but I want to make sure I have things working towards the goal of being able to keep a decent amount of SPS.

gatorwpb

Sounds like you are going in the right direction just with what you have now. Starting with something easy like a monti cap or encrusting monti is a good choice.
Your lighting sounds a little hodge-podge (no offense) but I believe it will still be fine for sps assuming that the t-5 is individual reflectors. Those sps under the 20k 250w may grow faster than the ones under the t-5.
Also, you will have the shimmer effect only on one end.
Also, sounds like you may need a little more flow as you add more sps and they start to grow. Maybe pick up a sureflow 1600 kit or 2 to convert those other MJ1200s. In my 65g sps tank I have 2 modded Tunze 6025s and a sureflow modded MJ1200. Im about to switch out one of the tunze for a second modded MJ1200. Ill have somewhere around 5500 gph in my 65g but thats on the high end of flow needed for sps.
Because my colonies are growing I need all that extra flow for the dead spots. Also, the one tunze will be blowing behind the rock work to keep that area clean.
Im not sure what seachem reef complete adds, but it likely isnt needed. Also, I would only add what you can test for. Iodine and strontium are probably not necessary because they would be picked up with the water changes unless your testing shows you deficient. I have to dose calc and alk on a daily basis because I use so much.
The final thing you may consider is a calc reactor, but that is way down the line.
For now, I think youre set. No need to spend anymore until the sps addiction truly kicks in.

greenreefer

The lighting is a little hodge podge, but that's because I really like the t5 fixture. I had an aqualight pro fixture previously with reeflux 12k bulbs and pc actinics. I easily have twice as much light with this fixture and bulb combo. I've actually been dealing with how to get zoanthids to open because the light is so bright, so far they will only open if they are sheded by a ledge.
The seachem complete is just another variation on their calcium supplement. What do you think about 2 part dosing? I've been considering the BRS two part kit and dosing pumps. It's not that expensive. Would that replace the need for a calcium reactor down the road?

gatorwpb

Originally Posted by GreenReefer
http:///forum/post/2788912
The seachem complete is just another variation on their calcium supplement. What do you think about 2 part dosing? I've been considering the BRS two part kit and dosing pumps. It's not that expensive. Would that replace the need for a calcium reactor down the road?
I use a 2-part and it is fine. The only benefit of a calc reactor is once you dial it in right, you dont need to fuss with it much.
Check out twopartsolution dot com and you can see how you can make your own. Your tank is big enough that the bulk quantities from there might make sense and will save you a bunch of money. You can make your own mag solution as well. The other trace elements will come from water changes.
The most popular 2-part is B-Ionic. Its a great product. I used it for awhile before I found a local product called Natureef that I prefer, although I dont really know why. lol

greenreefer

funny that site is the same as BRS just under a different domain name. my parents live in Boca, so I come down your way several times a year. Might have to drop by and see you next time if you are up for company and selling some frags :)

gatorwpb

Originally Posted by GreenReefer
http:///forum/post/2789244
funny that site is the same as BRS just under a different domain name. my parents live in Boca, so I come down your way several times a year. Might have to drop by and see you next time if you are up for company and selling some frags :)
absolutely! An amazing LFS that I havent been to is in boca. Called Barrier Reef. Ive heard that they sell ora corals and are an all around great store. been planning to go by there for months.
here in west palm I go to Oceans Below mostly. Healthy fish and great sps selection

greenreefer

Originally Posted by GatorWPB
http:///forum/post/2789730
absolutely! An amazing LFS that I havent been to is in boca. Called Barrier Reef. Ive heard that they sell ora corals and are an all around great store. been planning to go by there for months.
here in west palm I go to Oceans Below mostly. Healthy fish and great sps selection
I go to Barrier Reef when I'm in town and I use to live in Boca so I was a regular. They have a great selection of fish and they run great sales on tank and equipment, but I've never been all that impressed with the coral selection. Lots of LPS and a small selection of SPS. I think I'll be down around Christmas so I'll see if we can meet up.

novahobbies

LOL I just came from Barrier Reef an hour ago! It's tru that their LPS selection is still better than their SPS, but the SPS they've been getitng in lately has been really nice....it's getting better. I just wish they would sell more zoa and paly frags....the large rocks are nice, but I'm on a budget.

greenreefer

that's good to hear that they are getting better. For soooo long they just had a bunch of atlantic or caribean brown button polyps for their zoanthid/paly section. Now I'm looking forward to go back over Chirstmas.