Receiving Livestock

bigleman

I get my first SWF.com shipment in tomorrow.
BTW, i LOVE
the $19.99 flat rate shipping. Do that more!!

I am having my order shipped to my work address because I know I wont be home to accept the order.
The question I have is would there be a problem opening the shipment when I wont be able to add the livestock to my tank for another 1-2 hours?
I want to be able to check on the contents to ensure they arrived safely, but I think I remember reading something about light causing ammonia production to increase.
Am I just crazy? Haha.

joe____17

Im not sure but i would start acclimating as soon as i got my shipment. Otherwise it adds more stress on the fish.

bama man

I have another order coming within the next few days. I had my last order shipped to work as well. Had to wait 3-4 hours before getting them home. I did not open the box until I got home and was ready to start acclimation. I think opening at work and then closing them back up, and then opening them again would just stress the fish more. They have already been through a lot in transport and another couple of hours won't kill you. When you open the box not only are you shocking them with the light but you are also letting out the heat from the heat packs that are shipped in the box. A lot of fish can't take sudden changes. I was like a kid at Christmas time when I got home with my first shipment. Good luck with yours.

bigleman

Originally Posted by Bama Man
http:///forum/post/2911290
I have another order coming within the next few days. I had my last order shipped to work as well. Had to wait 3-4 hours before getting them home. I did not open the box until I got home and was ready to start acclimation. I think opening at work and then closing them back up, and then opening them again would just stress the fish more. They have already been through a lot in transport and another couple of hours won't kill you. When you open the box not only are you shocking them with the light but you are also letting out the heat from the heat packs that are shipped in the box. A lot of fish can't take sudden changes. I was like a kid at Christmas time when I got home with my first shipment. Good luck with yours.

i think i remember seeing that you have to notify them within 5 hours of delivery if there is a problem, so i'll have to tough it out and wait

I think I remember reading that they lower the ph and super oxgenate the bag water to keep the amm. levels low for shipping, once you open the bag and air hits it , ph goes up and so does your amm.So in other words it's not the light but opening the bag.

bigleman

Originally Posted by Cleve_seahorse
http:///forum/post/2911312
I think I remember reading that they lower the ph and super oxgenate the bag water to keep the amm. levels low for shipping, once you open the bag and air hits it , ph goes up and so does your amm.So in other words it's not the light but opening the bag.
my thinking was closer to yours.
exept i wasnt sure if the light would cause a reaction
i wasnt going to open the bags, the plan was to open the box, check on the contents and keep it closed until acclimation.
I've only received coral through the mail and even this shipment is all coral except for a cleaner shrimp. I've just never had to worry about it sitting in my office for a couple hours.

barchtruong

I told my boss I was so ill and had to leave work right in the mid of the day when I got a phone call that my shipment was in.....wow...I can pretty much do anything for this hobby, this is scary..

but seriously, ur livestock is fine in the box til you get home.

kas2247

I had mine shipped to work once (actually, it was just that the FedEx guy recognized my name and knew where I worked... one small-town perk!). I opened it just because I wanted to see what everything looked like and make sure it was all alive. Also, on that shipment, it got stuck in the mail and came 2 days late... so I was a little anxious, to say the least. Everything lived, even with the extra stress of me opening the box. I guess it just depends on how much patience you have! I, apparently, have very little

pezenfuego

That's cool. Make sure to keep it us up to date. I am going to wait until spring to order from here. Btw, your avatar spelled anemone wrong
But then again, I am slightly dislexic, so sorry if I'm wrong.