Recommend a thrifty test kit?

one lunger

Hello, I am setting up a nano non-photosynthetic 29 gallon tank and plan to keep a dendro or sun coral along with a fish or two. Can anyone advise me as to a suitable test kit pertinent to the corals.
Thank you

geoj

This would be a good cheep set of test kits to get you started
API Reef Master Test Kit $30
API Ammonia Test Kit $7
API Nitrite Test Kit $7

flower

The entire life of your tank hangs on what those test reveal and you want cheap? Get a Master Reef test kit by API. Master kits are cheaper than single tests. Other than that …don’t go thrifty on the important stuff.

btldreef

If I was going to set up a non-photosynthetic NANO, I would not go with a "thrifty" kit, I would go with the best I could buy. Non-photosynthetics need to be fed, and this can be a real issue in a nano due to water quality quickly going downhill.
I would do this:
SeaChem Nitrite/Nitrate combo test kit
pH probe (although I have found the API to be fairly accurate)
Salifert:
ammonia
alkalinity
calcium
And a good thermometer and refractometer.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/383178/recommend-a-thrifty-test-kit#post_3349433

The entire life of your tank hangs on what those test reveal and you want cheap? Get a Master Reef test kit by API. Master kits are cheaper than single tests. Other than that …don’t go thrifty on the important stuff.

Hey a friend sent a PM to me ..Thought I was a little harsh. I never intended my post to be taken that way. Sometimes we don’t know how a post might seem to another person and on the first post..I’m so sorry.
I don't want to delete it in case it was already seen. I certainly did not mean to be hard or flame you in any way. THRIFTY can have several meanings, from really cool to cheap as cheap can be, that's why I added a “?” after the word cheap.
I just wanted you to understand how important your test kit is. As to an answer, it is always cheaper to buy a master kit than to try and buy them separately. A Master reef kit is best for tests to make sure your corals are in the safe zone.
WELCOME to the site...I promise we are friendly folks...

one lunger

Wow, I got answers and a butt-kickin'! No, my skin is a bit thicker than that. I certainly appreciate the responses, that is exactly what I was looking for. By "thrifty" I meant getting the job done without a bunch of needless extras. Thank you to all.

btldreef

API's will get the job done, somewhat. I have found their nitrate test to be very unreliable and that's going to be an important test to have with a non-photosynthetic tank where feedings need to be done.

one lunger

Any recs on a good refractometer? I see you mentioned it earlier. I am still using an old style Marineland salinometer with the floating "arm."

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///forum/thread/383178/recommend-a-thrifty-test-kit#post_3350214
Quote:
Originally Posted by one lunger
http:///forum/thread/383178/recommend-a-thrifty-test-kit#post_3350210
Any recs on a good refractometer? I see you mentioned it earlier. I am still using an old style Marineland salinometer with the floating "arm."
Get one with a hard case. I like the ones that need to be calibrate with a small screw driver, I just feel that you wont accidentally change its calibration.
+1