Recommendation on skimmer

serg141

I'm looking to purchase a protein skimmer for my 120 gal reef ready tank. I have a wet/dry, U/V, 120 lr and 80 ls. Any opinions out there?
Thanks

birdy

I suggest you spend the money and get a good one, either a Euroreef skimmer (pretty much the best) or I have heard good things about ASM skimmers (almost identical to euroreef, but cheaper).

badkharma

If you gots the cash - gets the EuroReef. You won't be disappointed. If you're on a tight budget, get the ASM. I did - same function as EuroReef, and possibly same performance, but the quality is definitely lower (pump is the same).

robchuck

Skimmers that use Beckett foaming heads are nice and powerful. My Reef Creations, Barr Aquatics, and Precision Marine make some nice Beckett skimmers.

tyedyed1

ive got a sea clone right now and id probably not buy another. ive had problems with the o-ring seal leaking and i cant get rid of the micro bubbles. its good for right now but i will get the best next time.:yes:

badkharma

That's really skimping it for a 120 gallon setup...you'd probably have the best results in that price range if you use a DIY skimmer......there are some good plans to be found out there to help you. I don't even know if there IS a skimmer worth spending $150 on for a 120 gallon tank. You also might try find a used Euroreef in the classifieds section.

badkharma

I did. I apologize. I didn't see that you had jumped in with your own questions. :) For a 40 gallon, I would buy an Aqua C remora. On the high side of your price range, but argueably the best HOB skimmer made.

obarrera

Will this one work?
AquaC Remora w/ Rio 800 Kit
Kit Features:
Model # : Remora Hang-On
Tank Size (Gallons): up to 75
Included Pump: Rio 800 (flowrate of 211 gph)
Skimmer Height: 17.5"
Minimum Tank Height: 12.75"
Minimum Overhead Clearance for Proper Function: 5.5"
Depth: 2.75"
Width: 6"
The revolutionary AquaC protein skimmers do not use venturis, downdraft tubes, or air pumps; they employ the patented "Spray Injection System." This innovation allows the protein skimmer to efficiently draw in much more air than any other of the top protein skimmers. This coupled with the superiorly designed compact reaction chamber yields results that will literally blow the waste out of your water.
"For its compact size and simple design, The AquaC protein skimmer is able to process a large volume of water and efficiently remove organic pollutants. I`m very happy with it!"
Fernando Nosratpour, Senior Aquarist
Birch Aquarium at Scripps
If you are searching for the most compact, efficient, and powerful hang-on-tank skimmer on the market, look no further. AquaC has finished development of the Remora - the most radical design in skimming to date! Using the same patent pending spray-induction system as their acclaimed in-sump skimmers, AquaC`s Remora is simply the best hang-on available today. The Remora is rated up to 75 gallons and requires a scant 2.75" clearance from the back of the tank. That is slim! You`ll appreciate its low profile, only 6" of vertical clearance is required. Standard equipment include a Rio 800 water pump, adjustable collection cup, and a special baffle system which prevents any bubbles from entering the aquarium. For those who need a more powerful skimmer, AquaC is soon to release a larger hang-on dubbed the Remora Pro. Essentially a larger, beefier version of the Remora, the Pro can handle tanks over 75 gallons in size. It is designed to meet the needs of large, sumpless tanks which cannot benefit from the power of AquaC`s EV Series. Despite its performance (literally blowing away others on the market), the Remora Pro is only 18" x 7.5" x 3.25". That`s right, it is still one of the smallest hang-on skimmers in the industry. This is made possible due to the use of the effiicient spray-induction system found on all AquaC skimmers. The Pro comes standard with a low-wattage, yet forceful Rio 1400, and produces so much foam you won`t believe it till you see it in operation.