Recommendation

snakeblitz33

I'm starting a 240 gallon reef tank and I am wondering what is the absolute best protein skimmer that I can buy with no money limit. I have 42" underneath my stand to fit it!
Preferably one that you don't have to fit inside a sump. I have a 55 gallon sump to put it in, but I want one so big that I won't be able to fit it in the sump!
I saw some guy on -- with a 1600 gallon tank he got "tank of the month." Anyway, he shared his story of his protein skimmer being able to "pull out" a dying blue carpet anemone, and improve his ORP from 300 somthing to 420, over the weekend!
The point is, I want the best protein skimmer I can buy.

xeniaman

I run a seaclone 100 on my 240 and it works great! No, seriously though, I do have a 240 and run a euro-reef rated for 400 gallons. I can't remember the exact model number but it will suck a gulf ball through a garden hose. It will be all you ever need

snakeblitz33

I've been looking at bubbleking and they are expensive! I said money wasn't really a problem, but I was thinking something at least under a thousand!

joncat24

msx 250
reeflo orca 200
octopus pro series has a new one out that is on pre-order right now also
would be some good choices as well

moprint

MSX250 by Marine Solutions it's $500, if you want to run one out of sump look into the Octopus Recirc Triple Pump Needlewheel 300 it's $650 also at Marine Solutions.

snakeblitz33

wow, thanks moprint! I see the Octopus Recirc Needlewheel 200 which recircs with 2 pumps and one needle wheel pump. I'm kind of impressed, and as a plus, it will fit inside of a 55gallon sump! Thanks!

acrylic51

Moprint picked a good one......check out the Reefflo's and the BM300 are due release soon as well, and you already mention BK

moprint

Yes Deltecs are the best, but I don't think he wants to spend $1,850 on a skimmer like the AP702. I was giving him cheaper, but still good alternatives. Wish I had a Deltec, if I could afford one that is what I would have.

matt b

Originally Posted by moprint
http:///forum/post/2462858
Yes Deltecs are the best, but I don't think he wants to spend $1,850 on a skimmer like the AP702. I was giving him cheaper, but still good alternatives. Wish I had a Deltec, if I could afford one that is what I would have.
i no they are soooo much!!!! but still the best skimmers. but if you want a little cheaper i would go with octo!!!

snakeblitz33

Yeah, I think that I am going to go with an octopus skimmer. They look like they would skim the crap out of the water really well. In addition to a skimmer, I will be running a fluidized sand bed filter rated for 900 gallons.