Recommendations on return pump

finland

I just moved this post from reefs(no replies), so I thought I would move it here. I need recommendations for a return pump for my 150 gal. reef. I have 2 built in overflows with 1 in. drains and 3/4 in. returns. Don't know what the overflows are rated for. My return pump died tonight, so I need to get one tomorrow, so quick responses would be appreciated. I have about 7 ft. of head. What would be a good gph and a good, quiet pump.

cosmo

I prefer mag drives. I have a mag 9.5 on my 125 with built in overflows. I would think the mag 12 would work for you and your setup.
cosmo

marinerock

HEY FIN....
A MAG-DRIVE #18 (1800 GPH) WOULD BE A NICE SIZE
PUMP FOR YOU....HAVE ONE ON MY 125.....
GREAT PUMP....VERY QUIET....HIGHLY RECOMMEND
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK

tangman99

Though the Mag 7 I use on my 90 would be too small, they are great pumps. Mine has been kicking for 2 years now and has never missed a beat. Look at the larger sizes. The only down side the Mag is they will add some heat to the tank. Just by replacing my Rio 2500 with a Mag 7, my tank went from 79 to 82 degrees.

I like my Dolphin pump so far. :D I have a Dolphin DP 900 for my 125 gallon tank with 2 overflows. The overflows are rated at up to 600 gph each and my pump easily overpowers them even though it is rated 900 gph. This pump is much more powerful than I expected and very quiet. I am happy with it.
Good luck,
-Christine
:)

finland

Thanks for the responses. I ordered a mag 12. In the mean time I am using a smaller utility pump to get the water back up to the tank. I think it will be fine for a couple days til my new pump gets here.