reconstruction of my tank

bullitr

after losing over 750 k in real estate investment . i moved my 225 mixed reef tank to my 300 gallon. to my new house . i loss all of my sps,some clams and delicate fish in the process . but i am still happy, i realized which is more important me , my health and my family .

bullitr

equipment
lighthing: 4 metal halide 3 250 watts 14 k and 400 watts 14 k coral vue with lumenarc reflector , currently only using on 2 250s and 1 400 with lumenarc
skimmer : asm g4 i need to upgrade later
cal reactor : euro reef
chiller : jbj arctica 1/3 hp
return pump : 2 gen x pcx 40
power head : 4 maxi jet 900 and hydor korallia 4 ( trial) plan to switch to tunze 6065 soon
sump: 150 gallon
tank : 8x2x 30" high

bullitr

livestock:
fish:
1 at least 10" naso tang
1 4"-5" purple tang
1 4" blue tang
3 yellow tang 3" to 5"
1 3" kole tang
1 3" orange fin tang
1 paired ocellaris clown
2 mardarin gobies
1 cleaner wrasse
1 3" sixline wrasse
1 pair of bar gobies
6 b/g chromis
1 evil 3 stripe damsel

bullitr

the tank is only 2 months old:
mostly softies, zoa,mushroom , lps and clams. all of my sps died after transfer and all of my 6 sureflow kit broke.

bullitr

i took all the picture with flash using canon rebel xti as you can see i am not good photographer

bullitr

future plan :
1 upgrade electrical panel to 2 additional switch for pumps and lighthing
2 change my top off container to glass or acrylic 50 gallon tall
3 finish the cabinetry
4 upgrade to 3 tunze powerhead
5 finally beg for more corals

spiderwoman

You may want to consider a bit more powerful Tunze's than 6065. Those are for smaller tanks. I run 2 Tunze 6100's in a 72 inch long 150 (60% power right now = 2000gph each). Your current MJ 900's are IMO way too small for a 300gallon tank. You could get away with 4 Koralia #4's or 4 MJ 1200's with mod kit.

bullitr

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2789904
You may want to consider a bit more powerful Tunze's than 6065. Those are for smaller tanks. I run 2 Tunze 6100's in a 72 inch long 150 (60% power right now = 2000gph each). Your current MJ 900's are IMO way too small for a 300gallon tank. You could get away with 4 Koralia #4's or 4 MJ 1200's with mod kit.
i used to have 6 maxijett with mod kit ,it rusted and break after couple of month. i was thinking about that but its way too much for a powerhead. i don't want too much flow than neccessary its only sps on top , lps and softies on the bottom.

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by bullitr
http:///forum/post/2790117
i used to have 6 maxijett with mod kit ,it rusted and break after couple of month. i was thinking about that but its way too much for a powerhead. i don't want too much flow than neccessary its only sps on top , lps and softies on the bottom.
The mod kits that rusted, I hope you kept them and your receipts. You can send them to the manufacturer and they will replace them free of charge. A few fellow reefers in our club has done this.

bullitr

its been 2 months . how long before i start growing pink coraline again? cal reactor is running well calcium around 400 . i have not test my magnesium yet but i am sure its sufficient.?

bullitr

but it need to mature. my last one it takes a year and then the coraline spread like crazy. it cover the whole 225 gallon in less than 2 weeks

spiderwoman

Our 75 started getting coraline in 30 days and I've tried to keep it from getting overboard. I don't care for it on anything else except LR. 150 has taken a bit longer, maybe 90 days. It has less coraline covered LR in it. All of the LR in 75 was covered with it.

mch2o

you will soon be on your way to have everything you want in your tank again man. And plus 1 on the family is more important i know what you mean

By the way the tank looks great !

culp

750K! man i get angry when i lose a $1 in the vending machine! i would just about have had a heart attack losing that much. but your tank is looking good so keep up the good work.

bullitr

money isn't everything. one of my best friend although he's 45 he looks younger than me and i am 30 and he just got diagnose with stage 4 colon cancer a month ago and he is the nicest guy i know ( i mean it) . he got money but he also have young kids 6,5, and 1 . like i said money isn't everything

bullitr

i just bought 2 more koralia 4 ,another lumen arc mini a total of 4 and ifind the electrician to add 2 switch panel for the tank . i might get a tunze 6100 later opposite the 3 korallia 4 . but i am afraid of too much flow for my mixed tank it will not be a prodominant sps tank , only on top where the strong current at. clams and scolymia do not like too much flow.

gatorwpb

great looking tank.

but honestly, I think that lps and softies benefit from the extra flow as well as the sps. I have lps and softies on the bottom and the flow is strong there too. everything is happy and the sand stays very clean.

bullitr

we'll find out later if i need more flow but for now . i ll stick to my 3 korallia and 4 maxijet.. i used the money for more corals.