RED ALGEA

drummerboy

Hey, I have the same problem right now. A lot of people responded to my quesion, so you may want to look under it- "can anyone help with red algae". I'm going to try using a product called chemi-clear as they suggested.

drummerboy

It's a pain isn't it? The stuff that I have seems to be growing in leaps and bounds. I think it's even on one of my mushrooms right now :mad: , I really hope that it doesn't kill it, but I don't know what to do. Let me know how your's is doing, and if you get rid of it and how. The stuff has definitly placed me in a bad mood.

st3

red algae is from either poor water, overfeeding, and to much light. you want to siphon out as much of it as u can and then make sure you donot OVERFEED. 9/10 people overfeed.once red algae is seeded it will always grow back if you provide the right conditions for it.

wamp

Cynobacteris can grow in all conditions and can even grow in the healthiest of tanks. Usually occuring in low flow and areas of lower light. The Chemi-Pure pad has been know to help. I have also had luck with some stuff called Red Slime Remover. It comes in a littl bottle and is a powder. It contains antibiotics and can cause some die off of your nitrifying bacteria alond with the Cyno.
If I were you, I would invrease flow to the infected ares, siphon out as much as possible and keep up with your water changes. I have seen Cyno in tanks considered Labrotory grade and in tanks as crappy as mine. It knows no natraul enemy such as snails or crabs but, I have noticed Mexican Turbos occasional in the stuff..
Good luck with your problem...