Red Bali starfish

meadbhb

Hiya,
My LFS just got a bunch of these little red starfish in.
However, they were in the process of unpacking their order and couldn't tell me much about them.
Are they reef safe? What do they eat? Are they as sensative to acclimation as other stars?
Meadbhb

ophiura

In all likelihood they are the extremely delicate Fromia sp star - probably even more finicky in diet than a Linckia. Also wouldn't be surprised if many of them "melt." Similar acclimation problems to Linckia as well....I really wouldn't recommend them in a tank under 100g...need lots of LR. The most common species I think is Fromia mileporella...might have two ll's - milleporella. Can't remember.

meadbhb

Hiya,
Was hoping you'd be the one to answer this question. I've got 70lbs of rock and algea, but still doesn't sound like something I can put in the tank.
Thanks Ophiura, I guess I'll just have to enjoy them at the store.
Meadbhb

ophiura

You've led me to do some "board" research. Let's see what the general experience is with them... :)

meadbhb

Hiya,
I did a board search, using Bali as the search idea. There wasn't a whole lot on them. I did talk to one guy at the store. He said he's had his for 6 months and it has hardly done any growing. Stays on his glass and rock eating algea. I think he's got a 100+ gallon reef tank though.
Probably twice the size of a silver dollar with five arms and bright true red. Doesn't appear to have an orange or yellow cast to it. Didn't see the bottom, so don't know if it has an undercolor.
Meadbhb

ophiura

Like Linckia, indications are that it is an algal/bacterial film grazer...but there are also some indications that it might actually feed on encrusting stuff like certain encrusting sponges,bryozoans, etc. It is not a large species if I recall, but the real indication is survival beyond a year. The can take an astonishingly long time to starve. Oddly enough, I am not necessarily telling you to definitely not get one. But I will tell you that there is no guarantee...they are definitely not an easy star...I've seen many melting at various LFSs. For a star in your size tank, IMO, a Linckia multiflora is the better bet.

meadbhb

Hiya,
Thanks Ophuira. We don't get linka's in our store that often. Thankfully, they're not a species of marine life that I am obsessed with. I think I'll just leave the star's to those with more experiance.
Meadbhb