Red flatworms, right?

keri

i caught this little bugger with a turkey baster (I think I squished the end a bit) and I'm 99.9% sure it's a red flatworm....and there are MORE. (there are 2 views of it in the picture) It moves like a worm...but flat...so I'm pretty sure that's what it is, can anyone confirm? it's like the size of a small piece of oatmeal.
Anyhow, I have a couple of softies in the tank where they are as well as LR, LS and some inverts....has anyone ever used Salifert's Flatworm Exit? Was it successful? How much is this going to suck for me? (I hope i can get it where i am because it seems to be the only product I can find!) Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!

o2ngk

Hmm .. I am not sure if that is flatworm .. it could be ?? Flatworm usually leave inside the LR .. so it is very hard to catch it unless you can lure it out .. the flatworm trap is working good if you can monitor your feeding .. but on my own experience .. I submerge the LR into a fresh water bucket for a day or two .. the flatworm will die because of the fresh water and you can see it at the bottom of your bucket. .. Please be advice some people may say that you may kill the LR in the process.

teresaq

Its a flat worm. Be carful with the exit. You must follow directions closly and be realy to do a large water change.

keri

they're EVERYWHERE! Little ones mostly and a few big ones, pretty scary considering the tank isn't that old.

al mc

They multiple like crazy. Too bad the inverts we want in our tanks don't replicate/grow as quickly.

keri

Originally Posted by coraljunky
I sound like a broken record
Sixline Wrasse

i WANT to believe you because i can't find flatworm exit ANYWHERE! (maybe it's not available in Canada)
And i really do want a 6line but it would be the first fish in that tank and they turn into little Aholes when you do that, right? I wonder if I got a maroon clown at the same time it would be ok?

maxalmon

Originally Posted by Keri
i WANT to believe you because i can't find flatworm exit ANYWHERE! (maybe it's not available in Canada)
And i really do want a 6line but it would be the first fish in that tank and they turn into little Aholes when you do that, right? I wonder if I got a maroon clown at the same time it would be ok?
A sixline should be a mandatory fish for all tanks! Not sure where you got the idea of them being trouble makers, that's far from the truth.
Yes, they are flatworms. Fellow reefer is just now going thru an infestation and they trust me, they will get worse unless you take action.
Try and vacuum or siphone out as many as possible, then get a sixline or exit.

yosemite sam

Originally Posted by maxalmon
A sixline should be a mandatory fish for all tanks! Not sure where you got the idea of them being trouble makers, that's far from the truth.
Yes, they are flatworms. Fellow reefer is just now going thru an infestation and they trust me, they will get worse unless you take action.
Try and vacuum or siphone out as many as possible, then get a sixline or exit.

Try to siphon our as many as you can. They will decline if you can lower the nutrients in your tank. If you can keep them under control with water changes, there is no need to use Flatworm exit.
Personally, I don't like 6-line wrasses. For one, they don't all eat flatworms. Some do, many don't. I've had two (and know several others who have had them as well) that never even looked at flatworms. They also can be very agressive. I certainly would not add one as the first fish in the tank. The most recent one I had bullied several fish to the point that they wouldn't come out to feed.

flricordia

As long as you don't feed the 6line it will eat on the flatworms. Depending on the type of flatworm, some pose no threat to reef livestock except they can reach populations that can choke out the light getting to LR. Usually with proper nutrient control the flatworms will eventually die out. Good flow betwwen the live rock will also keep them at bay. If you can create strong flow in all the tank except one spot, theyw ill congregate in that spot making syphoning them out much easier. A Tiger pistol and goby living in the sand bed (if you have a DSB) will also help keep them under control. All these suggetions take time to get the flatworms under control, but if they don't seem to be the kind that are bothering any of your corals, they are nothing more than unsightly and pose no threat so you can relaxe and use these natural mthods for removal.

keri

I've just been turkey-bastering them out until I can come up with a better solution. *sigh*