Red Hair algae?

fish sense

I think I have a problem with red hair algae, in my tank of course. I have a few patches that seemed to have started growing. What is this a sign of and which clean up crew members will munch on it? Thanks!

jond

How old is your tank and what do you have in it as far as rock and so forth. My tank is five months old, and I have some red algea. I have been told it is pretty normal at this age, and just keep you water quality as good as posible. It should clear up.

fish sense

Thanks, my tank is about 6 months old now with LF, PC with 4 wpg (29 gal), skimmer, sump, inverts, one fish, good water quality. I'll keep an eye on it. Any other advise appreciated!

serpent

There is a medication that you can put into your tank called Chemi-clean. It is a powder that you just drop into your tank and it dissolves. This will clean it up in about 2 days, depending on how much you have. You can usuallly purchase it at your lfs. HTH :cool:

jond

I wouldn't suggest adding anything to your water yet. Any chemical treatments in a reef should be avoided at all cost. If it is not taking over your tank it shouldn't be a big deal. It will take care of itself if your water quality is good. IMO
Good luck

by the way, i agree with serpent on this one. It IS ok to add chemi clean and it WILL help clean up the red algae. Jond....it won't hurt his tank because it IS reef safe! Good luck! HTH.