Red lava rock

kinkfish

has any ever used red lava rock from like home depot to put in their tanks? I have heard that it is really good because it is porus and will turn in to live rock.

lutz493

I have 6-7 peices of Lava Rock in my tank I used as the base - You don't see most of it because my sand bed is moreless as high as the rock. There is 2-3 pieces I stacked to give my tank height. I've got 80lbs of Marshall Island/Tonga Branch ontop of that.
I've had the Lava Rock in the tank for several months and thus far there is very little coraline spreading to it. There is a few critters who are living on it but as far as Coraline or any Algae for that matter spreading to the rock, it hasn't yet.

lutz493

If the lava rock can leak harmful things into your tanks.
That is gonna have every major pet store chain and many many mom and pop shops pulling that rock off their shelves. I can't think of any fish stores in my area who don't sell the lava rock among other different types of display rock that isn't live.
My lava rock has been in the tank for over 6 months, I musta just been one of the lucky ones.

fshhub

It can and often does. Not always but often.
as far as details, what makes lava??
magma, right??? what is magma made of?
minerals and ores
to include:
copper
zinc
iron
silver
to name just a few.
You name it, it can be in there, dependig onwhere the rock came from will depend on what minerals it consists of. It does not take an expert or geologist to figure this out. But many people may not know this but many minerals are hazardous in SW tanks, in particularly towards inverts more than fish.
As for the shops, well who said they know their stuff? May of them bash LR, end even more slam a DSB. And how many of them sell mandarins and anemones and Moorish Idols, and could not keep either for a month themselves.
Lava, it works great for fresh water, but is severly RISKY for salt. It is not a guarentee, but my biography is titled: 'Murphy's Law', so I would not chance anything like that at all.
Oh, and being a business, esp the chains, would not pull it off their shelves, esp since it does sell but mostly to those who do NOT know any better. Grociers never pulled tobacco off the shelves ,did they? No, not even after it was proven it will kill us, if we use it. I can name many many other examples. Money talks, .................................................