Red Mandarin Goby

whyamisofl

I asked my LFS to notify me ASAP upon their arrival. Well, they just got one in on Thursday. BRIGHT red, fat, and "overly" happy!
Problem though.......my fuge has only been setup for about a week now! I do have 140# of LR in my 60g (not including the additional in the fuge). Do you think if I supplement with "6oz Reef Nutrition Tigger-Pods - Live Jumbo Copepods" (its what the LFS carries) I can get away with keeping him until the fuge "kicks in"??
If so, how often do I have to supplement? Should I supplement until there are pods galore??

OR, should I pass and hope that they come across another one that is big, fat, healthy, and bright red again?????

groupergenius

I could be very wrong on this, but I heard those Tigger Pods are cold water and die off quickly in our warm tanks.
Just sayin'.....I'm not positive on that but worth researching.
I would opt for waiting....

oceanlover

I used that exact same brand of pods to seed my fuge and 6 months later I am crawling with pods. My fuge does have some live rook and plants in it too and is heated.

emilaya101

I would wait. If your tank is not ready, you shouldn't add the fish, just because of the risk that it could starve to death. No matter how fat and happy he is now. Wait it out. If the got one, they can get another

whyamisofl

Well, I decided to take the responsible aquarist route and opted out. I have seen enough of them die due to starvation, I don't want to add to the numbers.
I have seen numerous "red" mandarins before, but nothing like the true deep red of this one. I mean vibrant red with green markings.
On another note, as long as I was there deciding, I picked up some killer frags!