RED SCARLET DISAPPEARANCE, HELP QUICK

raderman

I purchased the big 20 clean-up crew from this site. Everything was going great and the tank has been cleaned up very good. My problem is that the red scarlet hermits are slowly dying off and the numbers are reducing. I started with about 25-30 and are left with under 8 (at last count). This is in a mini-reef new set-up 30 gallon(2 months old). I have a 5" DSB, a Red Sea Prism, 55#'s live rock, and 125 watt PC lighting. My most recent chemical checks are all very good. Could it be predatory? Or what, I am at a loss. I am finding the remains of the ones that die, typically they are all but consumed, not much remains behind on the sand bed.
I need help fast!!!!!!!!!!

playtime

first, are you sure they are dead and havent just molted. when they molt, it looks exactly like the shrimp, I have been confussed myself. Then they hide until their new shell hardens. What else do you have in there that you think might be preying on them?
playtime

raderman

I only have one percula clown and snails, hermits, and 2 emerald crabs. That is it, that I know of!!!!!!!

krazzydart

you may have a mantis shrimp in the LR someplace,,,, or have you ever used any chemicals on your tank--- like copper, that will kill them in a hurry!!