Red Sea Berlin Classic protein skimmer, HELP

dperna

hello everyone
I just got a 58 gallon oceanic tank running the other day ago. I bought the tank off of an old neighbor who didnt have time for the hobby so he basically gave me everything he had for $100, which is a pretty good damn deal if I do say so myself. But the only thing I'm having a problem with is replacing a pump for the protein skimmer he gave me. It is Red Sea's Berlin Classic. The impeller is broken, I need a new (I dont know the correct names for them) blue cap that goes over everything, and the cover isnt fitting on it right! ug, WHERE CAN I FIND A NEW PUMP? Anyone have any suggestions, I really want to get this badboy running!!!

scsinet

Hmmm I'd disagree with that. Perhaps a pressure rated pump at that rate like the Iwaki RLT pumps, but just any old pump will lose very significant flow rates due to the venturi cone's restriction on these skimmers.
I'd suggest a Mag 9.5 to drive this skimmer. You'll end up with probably about 300GPH through the unit with that pump, again due to the huge pressure it takes to ram water through the venturi cone.
I used to drive mine with a Mag 5 (500gph) but found the 9.5 gives much better performance.

dogstar

I tried a larger one on mine and it gave a too wet of foam, a waste of tank water. I like the Rio 2100 ( 700 gph ) that I use on both of mine now and IMO, its a perfect size.........BTW, Red Sea recomends a 500 gph pump for the Classic with up to 8 inches of hose.