Red Sea Max 34 gal

idgy

Does any one own the 34 gal red sea max tank. Good/Bad?
{edit link - out of respect to the owner and operator of this site, please do not postlinks/discuss other stores, tahnks}

azreefgirl

I haven't heard of that system before. Do you have to order directly from the manufacturer, or do some lfs carry them? Also, about how much do they usually cost?

bonebrake

They are decent, but in my opinion if you're going to spend that kind of cash you may as well go for a bigger tank and buy the parts you need and want separately.
:joy:

say

Just search on yahoo for red sea tank then go to the link that starts with practical
Shows the tank and the details.

lazypinoy

i saw the tank at my lfs for 600$. its pretty good for the beginner reefer. all components incudling pumps and all. all u need is a chiller and heater which they have even left space for you to place! its one of the first plug and play aquariums ive ever seen and i want one!

jhebi

It's very decent, everything is in there heaters, timers, skimmer, space to put a small chiler, but for the price $600.00, I wouldn't buy it. And besides the lights are ony 110w power compacts, and on their site they say they are t5's...liars...hahahaha
It is nice, but I wouldn't put my money on it. I could have a 75gl or even a 90gl with everything with the same or less money =).
Hey Lazy you go to that place on Cerritos, is that your LFS. I like their fish selection, but they don't take care of them well. Prices are cheap, but their fishes look ill. And also they always change their price, one day you go and is cheaper than the next day. I won't go there anymore because of that.

thejdshow

Originally Posted by jhebi
It is nice, but I wouldn't put my money on it. I could have a 75gl or even a 90gl with everything with the same or less money =).

While it is overpriced, not everyone wants a 75 or 90 gal tank, some of the most beautifull tanks I have seen have been = or < 24 gal. Not all of us have that sort of room readily available.
That being said, if you truely want a smaller tank there are a veriaty of 24 gal tanks with lighting as strong as 150 watt HQI for much cheaper. No stand though. The choice is yours

madman33

yeah but even paying for a stadn sepereate for the ones that dont come with them is cheaper than $600...huge rip off in my opinion

lazypinoy

Originally Posted by jhebi
Hey Lazy you go to that place on Cerritos, is that your LFS. I like their fish selection, but they don't take care of them well. Prices are cheap, but their fishes look ill. And also they always change their price, one day you go and is cheaper than the next day. I won't go there anymore because of that.
you live round here? yea its atlantic tropical. i dont go there much but my mom and brother does. they got pretty damn good fish and prices but imma agree with u that they suk at keeping it healthy. you should try the fish store ova on carson and del amo nxt to the 99 cent store, they got the hook up on corals.

john-nyc

I want to start a 75 gallon tank but there is no way after searching prices I could get the tank , stand , light , wet/dry , skimmer for $600.
I'm pricing out about $1200
Tank = $175 glass $300 Acrylic
Stand $200
Skimmer $230
Light $$??
Pumps $$<100
Pro Clear Wet/Dry $200
etc...

ntracy

I own a red sea max and I love it. It's the perfect size for a nano reef tank. it's also very "plug and play" as a very efficiently and eloquently designed all-in-one. the tank has everything you'll need to get going on a reef setup. From what I've seen, the skimmer does a really good job and is much better than the jbj nano skimmer you'd pay extra for on a 29. Granted, you get the HQI, but you'd have to balance how often to keep it on, or get a chiller which is NOT cheap. I know of people who grow hard corals in the Red Sea Max very successfully. I think it's a good tank if you don't want to learn to be a plumber (trying to get all components to work together) and just want one price tag for a setup-and-go system, which is much easier than a hodge-podge of equipment, ending up in costing you a lot more than you originally planned for.
I got my Red Sea Max with stand, 35 gals water, 30lb's sand, and two 5gal jugs as a package deal for $699+tax. After that, I just needed tests and live rock to get the thing going.
Hope this helps.