Red Sea Max Reef Aquarium???

S

sexyshrimp101

I was looking around at the different nano cube aquariums, and came across the Red Sea Max 34 gallon aquarium. It has virtually everything you need to start and maintain an aquarium. I was thinking about possibly getting one. I was just wondering if anyone had one and if they liked it, had any problems, etc.? Thanks in advance

fenrir

I just saw that exact tank at my lfs this past weekend, and it looked awesome. They had one set up in the back and I was really jealous on how neat it looked.

bruck

i just got mine a couple weeks ago, just finished up the cycle and put clean crew in so no coral yet. I like mine so far, I like the way everything is hidden and just the one cord coming out controling all components. very neat,clean setup imo. with the bubble thing,(skimmer) mine only does it briefly after i remove filters to claen but stops after about 5 min or so. Is a little bit of an annoyance but other than that it seems to do its job. ill try to get a couple pics up latter today.

S

sexyshrimp101

I haven't seen one actually set up yet, only a biocube set up at my lfs. But when I saw it online, it had pictures of the whole set up, control panel, timer, filtration system, etc., and I was really impressed. It looks like it does all of the hard work of picking out the equipment for you. That is one reason it is taking me so long to get everything just to cycle because I keep going back and forth on what I should get. Since this tank is reef ready, I won't have a problem (I hope).
That would be great if you could get some pictures on here of yours Bruck!!! I would greatly appreciate it. According to what you've said, it seems like a pretty decent set up. I also really like the fact that everything is hidden.
The only thing that I am a little worried about when it comes to one of these is would it be easy to fix or change something like in the filtration system if it broke or malfunctioned?

If anyone else has one, or would just like to comment on them, it would be appreciated!!! Thanks

zj4play

Just to make you think a little more...I just got a 29 Biocube that has everything you need. I am really happy with it and have done some little upgrade to the flow and filter too. My tank actually cycled in a week.

S

sexyshrimp101

Thanks for the suggestion :jumping: What upgrades did you have to do to it? If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay alltogether for the upgrades? That was one thing I was kinda worried about was having to do a lot of upgrades, but if the upgrades you did were easy and fairly inexpensive, then I wouldn't mind doing them. I want to have a reef tank so I am trying to get the best tank for it.

bruck

Sexy, im kinda too new to this to know if other equipment is interchangeable or not.( first tank). Im sure red sea is making or will be making replacement parts, and i hear theres a company making mh light kit for those sps peeps cant wait.. sorry i cant be of more help with that. I just picked up 3 little frag zoos. lfs says the waters good to start slowly adding corals.yippee(well, my wallet might not think so) lol. heres those pics
Rob

S

sexyshrimp101

Your tank looks sooo good!!! I can't wait until I finally start getting everything set up and cycled so I can buy pretty frags like yours!!! I can already picture the emptiness of my bank account

I am hoping they have replacement parts that aren't ridiculously priced. I was also looking at lighting upgrades, and I came across the K2 Viper MH lighting. It's a clamp on and it looks pretty nice, kinda pricey, but nice. That may be an option when the time comes.
Again, your tank looks amazing, keep me updated with the progress, how the tank is going, any problems, etc. if possible (sorry you're my guinea pig
, jk)

S

sexyshrimp101

Originally Posted by SPRTPR
I started with an aquapod and in hindsight I wish I'd gone with the sea max.
That is why it is taking me so long to figure out what tank I want to get. It all costs so much that I want to make sure I get the one I want and the one that is best for me the first time around.
Is there anything in particular that you don't like about the aquapod??? Just curious. I have been looking at those as well and was just wondering how they are from a person's first hand experience.

sprtpr

Well, first let me say that I only paid $150 for it brand new in the box. Mine is the 24 with dual actinic lights. I got it from a closeout liquadation store. That being said I can't be too unhappy. The big thing that burns me about the aquapod is the fact that month one into it the dual moonlights stopped working, two month mark the fan goes out. Seemed a little premature to have problems like that. I do like the tank itself and I'm having good luck w/ a few corals thus far. I think this is the sorta hobby that the grass might always look greener on the other side of the fence in that you always see something you like later that did not get considered.

zj4play

Hey sexy...I purchased my biocube at the fishstore away from my house for 250 plus tax. When I bought it they gave a good deal on live rock and sand, plus 10 percent off everything else. I walked out of there spending about 550 I think. 30 lbs LR and LS, heater, thermometer, and an extra Rio 800 powerhead (should have gone bigger). To upgrade my filter I bought a sponge and filter floss for 5 bucks.
That is all I have spent on the tank so far. There is a good light upgrade kit from nanotuners that gives you the metal halide lights for not too much. That will be my next step.
I will post pics tomorrow for you.

S

sexyshrimp101

Originally Posted by SPRTPR
Well, first let me say that I only paid $150 for it brand new in the box. Mine is the 24 with dual actinic lights. I got it from a closeout liquadation store. That being said I can't be too unhappy. The big thing that burns me about the aquapod is the fact that month one into it the dual moonlights stopped working, two month mark the fan goes out. Seemed a little premature to have problems like that. I do like the tank itself and I'm having good luck w/ a few corals thus far. I think this is the sorta hobby that the grass might always look greener on the other side of the fence in that you always see something you like later that did not get considered.
You got a really good price for yours!!! I am worried about paying a ton of money, and then have things start to crap out like a couple things on your's did. Were your problems easily fixed???
I completely agree with the grass always looking greener on the other side!!! Hopefully my grass will look green enough, lol

S

sexyshrimp101

Originally Posted by zj4play
Hey sexy...I purchased my biocube at the fishstore away from my house for 250 plus tax. When I bought it they gave a good deal on live rock and sand, plus 10 percent off everything else. I walked out of there spending about 550 I think. 30 lbs LR and LS, heater, thermometer, and an extra Rio 800 powerhead (should have gone bigger). To upgrade my filter I bought a sponge and filter floss for 5 bucks.
That is all I have spent on the tank so far. There is a good light upgrade kit from nanotuners that gives you the metal halide lights for not too much. That will be my next step.
I will post pics tomorrow for you.
I would love to see your pics!!! I am hoping that when I buy my tank and the accessories other than what is built in, I can work out a deal. It's not that I am worried about spending the money, it's just who wouldn't rather spend less for the same thing if they could
(god I sound like a cheap azz
). So it sounds like the upgrades were really simple too. I just want to make sure that I know what I am doing and can fix something if needs be.
p.s. Thanks to everyone so far for the advice and comments, it's all a huge help!!!

bruck

i never did see what the others are made of acrylic or glass? im sure the others could be had a little cheaper but i just liked the look of this one better just seemed a little bigger more room imo.

zj4play

Make sure you shop around too and see if local stores will price match. I told you I bought mine away from the house for 250. The store a mile from my house was selling it for 275, and unfortunatly after I bought it for 250, they said they would have sold theirs for 180, just to get my business

So, I learned my lesson...ask for deals!

sprtpr

Originally Posted by bruck
i never did see what the others are made of acrylic or glass? im sure the others could be had a little cheaper but i just liked the look of this one better just seemed a little bigger more room imo.
Most are acrylic. How much did it set you back for the Red Sea Max?

S

sexyshrimp101

I don't think I have seen a glass one. I thought all of them were acrylic

S

sexyshrimp101

Originally Posted by zj4play
Make sure you shop around too and see if local stores will price match. I told you I bought mine away from the house for 250. The store a mile from my house was selling it for 275, and unfortunatly after I bought it for 250, they said they would have sold theirs for 180, just to get my business

So, I learned my lesson...ask for deals!

Unfortunately, I don't have a whole lot to choose from when it comes to lfs' around here. So I have been looking online at prices as well, and I don't like doing that because then you can't work out a deal, but it may end up being my only option
I hope not though...