Red Sea Max

drewchyi

I just got this tank. I wanted to build it as a reef system. Is the included lighting viable? Or will I need to upgrade?
thnx!

nycbob

he only sps i can think of that u can keep successfully r monti caps and monti digitata

Originally Posted by theappe3
lights are good enough for everything BUT sps, clams and anemones.
theappe3
Since I am also setting up my new Red Sea Max in the next few weeks, I am wondering if you are including 'cleaner clams' and 'flame scallops' in that category? Also.... If the live rock is pilled up, let's say, within 6 inches of the lights, could a bubble anemone with a maroon clown do OK?
Thanks

K

kat74

Originally Posted by NaCl+H2O Fish
theappe3
Since I am also setting up my new Red Sea Max in the next few weeks, I am wondering if you are including 'cleaner clams' and 'flame scallops' in that category? Also.... If the live rock is pilled up, let's say, within 6 inches of the lights, could a bubble anemone with a maroon clown do OK?
Thanks

I believe that cleaner clams and flame scallops are okay in this tank.

nycbob

cleaner clams dont need much light. but flame scallop will need light. the bta on top is not ur choice, but up to the bta. bta will move where he feels comfortable. it might live and survive just under the light, but not thrive. spot feeding the bta often wil help too. but dont get an anemone, especially bta, until ur tank is at least 4-6 months old.

drewchyi

Well it's been 2 weeks now and my LR is starting to show signs of life. I have about 45lbs of fiji and tonga thus far and about 2 inches of substrate.
I woke this morning and saw some feather dusters out, 2 small tiny little snails, and a small 1inch bristle worm. Most of my rocks have a brownish,yellow algae growing on them that gives off bubbles. A few rocks, maybe about 10% of them has purple coraline algae growing. But it seems like the brown stuff is going to overtake them soon.
My question is, should i just let things go the way they are? And should you wait til the coraline algae has completely covered all the LR before you start adding the clean up crews?
Thanks!

m0nk

Originally Posted by drewchyi
Well it's been 2 weeks now and my LR is starting to show signs of life. I have about 45lbs of fiji and tonga thus far and about 2 inches of substrate.
I woke this morning and saw some feather dusters out, 2 small tiny little snails, and a small 1inch bristle worm. Most of my rocks have a brownish,yellow algae growing on them that gives off bubbles. A few rocks, maybe about 10% of them has purple coraline algae growing. But it seems like the brown stuff is going to overtake them soon.
My question is, should i just let things go the way they are? And should you wait til the coraline algae has completely covered all the LR before you start adding the clean up crews?
Thanks!
You should be testing the water to determine if the cycle is complete. Have you run any ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate tests? Once your ammonia and nitrite spike, and nitrate comes down to under 10 or so your cycle should be done and you can add a clean up crew.