Red Sea Sailfin Tang with a few black spots? worms?

C

coralbeauty

This tang was at the LFS in copper for 5 months. Good LFS, I know the manager well, he tells me the truth. I have had him about a month. He is doing great. Eating well, etc.
This morning I noted what almost look like slivers on each side. There are about five on one side and three on the other. A few are by the tail, a few on the middle of the body and a few by the head. They have not increased in number over the course of the day.
The fish is not scratching and he is eating and swimming well. I have a cleaner shrimp who the tang has used before but I have not notice them getting together today, and I have a UV steilizer. No one else appears to have these at this time.
My tank has been a little stressed this week, since I accidentaly caused a little recycle. (stupid mistake) This morning reading were A=0 Nitrites 0.05 Nitrates 5.
I read the advice below for a FW dip and a formalin bath. Should I follow suit or wait?
Thanks for any advice.
Connie

C

coralbeauty

The fish was there for so long because he wanted sooooo much money for it. I could afford the fish by trading it for my large Naso tang which outgrew my space, plus $20.
This is the rare good guy in the LFS business. However, he is only the manager and not the owner! He is limited in what he can do. But he gives me the real scoop on his live stock.
I am concerned about how these worms (?) got into my tank. The other fish in there have all been in that tank for over 18 months. I have added inverts, crabs, shrimp, snails and various pieces of coral. Could they have come in that way?
Thanks for the advice.
Connie

C

coralbeauty

Last night I went to begin the dip and bath and the fish only had two spots (slivers) on one side and two on the other. He was still eating, swimming and not scratching. Since it was late,I decided to wait.
Tonight, I got home and all but one very small spot is gone! So, I think I will hold off for now.
Again, all other fish are fine as well with no signs of whatever this is. I am confused by this. Maybe the cleaner shrimp got whatever this was.
Again thank you Trey for your advice. Beth you too! Although, you did not comment on my problem. I have read many other helpful posts by you. It is such a comfort to have people you can turn to for advice!
Connie
PS: Let me know if you think I should still drip him.