Red Sea salt

streetdoc

Has anyone had problems with Red Sea? I bought a 200 gallon bucket of it the other week on the advice of my LFS who said it was better than the Oceanic I was using. Almost immediately I noticed some very nice algea blooms in both the 90 and 210. I also noticed that the tub I was agining it in had a scent of stale/stagnant sea water. I also noticed my protien skimmers seemed to freak out a bit after a water change. Today I was mixing up a new batch in the 55 gal bucket of ro/di, places the old Mag 9.5 I use for mixing and added an air pupm a couple of hours later. 1 of the stones ended up near the intake of the pump and viola!! instant psuedo protien skimmer. Almost immediately I had a nice film of brown bubbles a couple of inches high gathering in a corner of the tub. Coincidence or nasty salt?

joker_ca

i was also told to try it by my LFS because they were out of the salt i always get, so i tried it and i also noticed more algea in my tank, now im back on reef crystals and no algea problems at all

meadbhb

Hiya,
I've used red sea salt with no ill affects. However, I think I've got a good clean up crew, so maybe I'm not noticing an algea problem.
Meadbhb

streetdoc

OK then. Guess I'll look elsewhere for the problem. I have great clean up crews in both tanks and the fact both tanks had the same problem at the same time, along with the bromn foam in the tub, led me to think perhaps it was the salt. Guess it's time to look at the RO/DI and maybe replacing the filters if need be after I test the wtaer it's putting out.