Red Sea Test Kits??

cliffrouse11bas

I have a marine lab red sea test kit. Everytime I check the ammonia it looks as if there is .25. I just mixed up a batch of new saltwater and it tested the exact same, but when i test the kit with freshwater it tests 0 it is the exact yellow color. Do you think I have 0 ammonia in the water and the test kit is just a misread????

karajay

I've got a red sea also, and my ammonia reads the same way. You can't accurately test fresh water with a kit intended for salt water. It can't react properly without the salt content. That's probably why it looks like 0 in fresh. I've learned to just make sure I keep the tank at the same level as the new water. I'll be getting a different test kit when I run out of this one. :)

badkharma

I get the same thing with my red sea test kits!! I hope one day someone invents a digital test kit where all you do is set it on the proper mode (ie. ammonia, NO2, etc) and stick it in the water to get a reading... lol :)

jacksonpt

I've had bad luck with Calcium and Alk kits from Red Sea. They are not reliable and I would advise against them.

broomer5

sorry to hear you having test kit troubles.
my personal opinion on Red Sea test kits ..... they are worth their weight in skimmer gunk.
Not very reliable - a lot of folks have reported similar troubles.
I had one - I don't anymore

kzlen

I bought a Red Sea Calcium, the directions arent clear .. Dunno if the end result is supposed to be orange or a variation of orange. Maybe its just me . Dunno
Any new test kits will be the Salifert , me thinks
Just My Opinion

soupysteve

I bought a Red Sea kit that tests for five things... AMM, NITRA, NITRI, pH, ALK, and something else. The directions weren't THE EASIEST to read, but once I saw that you are supposed to be in a well lit room and to LOOK DOWN the test tube 8" above a white surface for the reading, everything made more sense. I haven't had any problem with the Red Sea Kit of mine.
To be honest though, this is the first water test kit I have purchased in some 14 years... and whatever brand (for freshwater) I bought back in the day was some lame kind with a fish dressed up like a doctor (stethescope whole 9 yards).
Just putting in my $.02

karajay

Originally posted by SoupySteve
and to LOOK DOWN the test tube 8" above a white surface for the reading

I think the only ones you're supposed to look down through are the nitrite and alk tests