red serpent has a hole

fishy1

Hi :help:
I have a 46 gallon tank that has been up for almost 2 years.
My salinity is 1.022
nitrate and ammonia are 0
nitrite is 10
PH is 8 (this I have been keeping an eye on because it was ranging from 7.8 to 8.2; I bought Kent PH this time and it keeps it higher, but it still goes down to 8).
temp 81
I change 1/4 of the water on a weekly basis.
I added 7 pounds of sand almost 2 weeks ago and my inverts all got slow and weak/limpy. The store told me they would be okay and the sand increased the PH level, which threw them off. That was last week and I have been monitoring since and bought a Kent invert kit to increase the levels of calcium, iodone, etc.
All of my small crabs (blue and red hermits) and my sand sifter died almost immeadiately; I have not seen my snails either. I also had a sally lightfoot (died 2 days ago) and a shrimp who died 4 days ago. All I have left is a spiny sea urchin, who looks normal, and a red serpent who got a whole in his body last night. Now his internal organs are showing. it's about 1/8th the diameter of his disc....

Number 1, WHAT IS GOING ON????? These have been my readings for well over a year now!
Number 2, can I save him or should I save a prolonged agonizing death and kill him?????

I really don't understand and could use advice. It must be something I'm not testing in the water???
There aren't any fish in there.
THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!

Fishy1 :happyfish