Red Serpent star pulling it's legs off ????

banshee

I have to agree that it doesn't look good. I had a red serpent star and I have to say that they are not too bright. Mine ate himself to death. A fish died in my tank and he went right to work eating it. Problem is that he didn't stop. The fish ended up poking through the top of his head/body. It looked like someone speared him with a fish. A little while later he started losing his legs....no more red serpent star.

yammer

Is it actually 'pulling' its legs off or are they just falling off. I've had a red serpent for about 6 months now. Its doing fine now, but it did have some leg disentegration right after I put it in the tank. One leg completely broke apart and another lost about 2/3 of its length. They have partially grown back in the six months however.
My understanding is that they are very sensitive to pH changes and stresses which frequently results in their breakups.
If it is actively pulling the legs off though - thats bizarre!

S

starfishjackedme

Don't give up dude. I had a tank disaster where someone took care of my tank over Christmas. Anyway, they killed every living damn thing in there - save one large brittle star. The salinity went down to 1020 or so and the temp down to 70 degrees F. Anyway, he lost all his legs, but after i fixed the tank - he started growing them back very slowly. Over the last 9 months he has doubled in size and is now about 16" in diameter from arm to arm. If he made it through 2 weeks of that, maybe yours can too. Good luck. :cool: