Red Serpent Star

sunken ship

I was thinking of getting a red serpent star. Are these guys easy to take care of?
1 Coral Beauty
1 Cleaner Goby
2 Domino Damsels
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
6 Scarlet Hermits
Bubble Coral
Polyp Rock

ophiura

They are by far the most delicate of the serpentstars, and I would not put them in a smaller system. They are incredibly intollerant of changes in salinity, pH, alk, etc and these can change quickly in a small tank. The tank should be well established, no younger than 6 months old. They are considered rare by scientists, and should only, IMO, be kept in larger systems.
Search on here for Ophioderma squamosissimum. There have been recent posts.
Other species of brittlestars would be better suited for your system, IMO, however if it is a particularly mature tank (multiyear), the red serpentstar might
be OK.

sunken ship

the green brittle stars look pretty cool too. I might think of one of those instead. Are they as delicate as the red serpent?

ophiura

The green is tougher, but also a potential predator. How old is your tank? Some of the basics still apply (in terms of maturity, water quality, etc). They are all relatively delicate in a sense (none are particularly tolerant of salinity changes, for example). If the tank is stable and mature, the black brittlestar is also a possible choice. The green is fine, but there is a risk with them (though I have never had trouble, many do find them eating snails, shrimp and small fish). There are a number of serpentstars also. Keep in mind though that any may possibly eat something you don't want them to...it is always a risk, but I think it is atypical considering the number of people who keep them.

sunken ship

Thanks for the info Susan. I have a CBS, hermit crabs, and will also have a couple of cleaner shrimp in a couple of days. I also have a polyp rock and a bubble coral. Do you think that those would be in any danger of a green or black brittle star?

sunken ship

My tank is almost 3 months old and the parameters have been stable for awhile now.
Is it just the green that is risky, or is it the black also?

leboeuf

My tank is 3 months old and I have had a grn brittle for 2 months. The LFS told me to put it in there when my tank finished cycling. Not good advice, however, it has done remarkably well. No problems, great scavenger and has grown too. I can hand feed it with shrimp. I am going to try silverside's this weekend since I have a florida condi now.
Very cool purchase.