red slime algae remover info please

rkm

Ok I found on this forum that someone sells a red slime algae remover. I thought the person said it was reef and fish safe. If you have any idea where I can find this solution I would appreciate it. Store name, phone #, or web site.
Thanks a lot
Ryan

rkm

cool at least I got a name of a product. Anyone know where I can get it on the net.

olsenjb

I too used the Ultralife Red Slime Remover and it worked great. All slime was gone within 2 days, and no harm done to any corals, inverts, or fish. I spent $20 on it at the LFS, but you can find it cheaper on-line.

M

macyjo

IMO it is best to use something like the boyd product, increase h20 flow (no dead spots) decrease organics (skimming, less feeding, chemicals in h20 source- phosphate levels--sometimes decreasinbg the light).
My point here is that many of the products that are marketed --specific "red slime remover", are antibiotics--usually some thing like or is erythromycin. Problem here is the red slime is a bacteria--good the remover will kill it at least for a while, enough where you can not see any. BUT the bigger problem is that you are also killing the "good" bacteria that are helping you tank to process wastes. You may have a nice dSB---but totally destroy it with these chemicals.
Try some other routes or a combination of the above--before you dose your tank with drugs.
The above things worked great for me! HTH Good luck!

wrassecal

Macyjo is right. You have to determine the source so it will stay away, increase flow and the other thing advised. I tried all that first and couldn't get the initial outbreak to go away. Chemi-Clean does not contain antibiotics and that is why I used it. I don't know about the others. To keep it away I have increased flow, decreased light time etc. HTH