red slime algae

mitaylor

HELP!!! I have red slime algae in my tank. What is a good fish to put in there to get rid of it? It's not everywhere, just on one side. I don't want it to spread. My tank is a 72 gallon bow front with 2 small perculas, 2 small black perculas, 1 small sebae, 1 small maroon clown, 1 mandarin, 1 scooter blenny, 1 small cow fish, 1 pygmy angel, and 1 fire shrimp. I just need something that will get along with all of my small fish and not eat my corals. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

frankthetank

The easiest thing you could do is increase your flow probably. What is your flow rate?
Some water changes, ro water, and good flow will go along ways to keeping red slime out of your tank.
I would say that you have a dead spot on that side of the tank.

rbaldino

Originally Posted by FranktheTank
The easiest thing you could do is increase your flow probably. What is your flow rate?
Some water changes, ro water, and good flow will go along ways to keeping red slime out of your tank.
I would say that you have a dead spot on that side of the tank.
I change my water weekly, use RO water, have 30x turnover courtesy of a power filter, protein skimmer, and two MJ powerheads, and still occassionally get red slime in my 29 gallon tank. Really, Chemiclean usually works better than all that stuff you're "supposed" to do.

frankthetank

Well, depends on what you call a power filter. If it's one of those hang on the back filters, I have a hard time completely counting them. Generally speaking, most HOB filters return water along the surface line, which doesn't really move the water deep in the tank. I never count a protein skimmer, because it does what I just said even more. So take those away from your turnover and you might have half the flow. Then add in the fact you have some dead spots and bam... red slime algae.
But there are other causes for red slime besides just flow.

ninjamini

You have too many nitrates and phosphates in your system. You need to:
Get a fuge with something that will consume them. Cheto, cleaner clam.
Increase water changes with good ro/di salt water.
Increase flow with more power heads. Yep just aim a head at that spot and watch it disappear. But if you dont do the first 2 points then your just masking the issue.

rbaldino

Well, depends on what you call a power filter. If it's one of those hang on the back filters, I have a hard time completely counting them. Generally speaking, most HOB filters return water along the surface line, which doesn't really move the water deep in the tank. I never count a protein skimmer, because it does what I just said even more. So take those away from your turnover and you might have half the flow. Then add in the fact you have some dead spots and bam... red slime algae.
But there are other causes for red slime besides just flow.
Actually, from watching things that are caught in the return flow from my powerfilter, I know that the current nearly reaches the bottom of the tank. As for the skimmer, I have an AquaC Remora with the prefilter box. Return water from the skimmer exits at the bottom of the prefilter box, which is near the middle layer of the tank, and that current reaches the bottom of the tank. Personally, I don't really think there's a practical way to completely eliminate dead spots, and I just don't really buy the idea that reaching a certain turnover number will magically solve algae problems.

frankthetank

Originally Posted by rbaldino
Actually, from watching things that are caught in the return flow from my powerfilter, I know that the current nearly reaches the bottom of the tank. As for the skimmer, I have an AquaC Remora with the prefilter box. Return water from the skimmer exits at the bottom of the prefilter box, which is near the middle layer of the tank, and that current reaches the bottom of the tank. Personally, I don't really think there's a practical way to completely eliminate dead spots, and I just don't really buy the idea that reaching a certain turnover number will magically solve algae problems.
Well, somehow we agree... I don't think there is a magic number that solves algae problems either. As I originally stated, it does go a long ways to eliminating/preventing it though. I find that most cyano begins in dead areas of the tank.
And you have a great skimmer! I use to have one on a previous tank... I can't wait to get one this month for my current tank!
Can we be friends?

rbaldino

Well, somehow we agree... I don't think there is a magic number that solves algae problems either. As I originally stated, it does go a long ways to eliminating/preventing it though. I find that most cyano begins in dead areas of the tank.
And you have a great skimmer! I use to have one on a previous tank... I can't wait to get one this month for my current tank!
Can we be friends?

Yes, we can be friends.

The Remora is a great skimmer. You hang it on and it goes to work. I have to say, though, I ran a FOWLR tank for years without a skimmer and never had any real problems. Now that I do have a skimmer, it doesn't really seem to be making a big difference. I see the grunge in the cup, but I don't really feel like my tank is better than it was before.