Red slime help

sebaehope

I currently have a 30gl with 2 fish, 2 anemones, and 2 corals. I just cant kick the red slime problem. Phosphates are 0, added another powerhead,and skimming 24/7. Only bad thing is, I currently have a skilter. I was thinking of going with the prizm, or getting a cpr aquafuge. Which would be better? Also the tank is 7 mths old. TIA.

b_ball12_99

What are your other readings? Things like nitrates, silicates, ect. Any recent lighting changes. Might you still need better water flow?

sebaehope

Thanks bball. My amo,trites are 0, and my trate is <5, and ph is 8.2 The powerhead is directly above the affected area and blowing down on it. I am about at my wits end fighting this, and I was trying to stay away from adding anything to kill it, but the idea looks better every day. LOL Thanks again.

burnnspy

Reduce the light to 4hrs a day and the feeding in half, it will usually go away.
Since you water appears to bee good it should not come back if your water stays the way it is. After the slime is gone you can return the lights and feeding to normal, this takes about a week to see if it goes away.
BurnNSpy

indy1

I had a red slime problem for a while. It seemed to go away after I added 25 baha red legs to my tank. Just thought I'd mention that!

jond

I have a 37gal. and just got over the red stuff. My readings were also great. I got it after switching my lights from 40w to 225w of VHO. I reduced the light cycle, feeding, and started weekly water changes instead of bi-weekly. During the water change, I would remove as much of the algae as I could. I would even bush it from the rock with a toothbrush. It took several weeks (probably more like 5-6), but it is now gone. Good luck.

jond

Oh, yea. I also added a Seaclone protein skimmer after I got it. I think that was the major factor in beating it. I know it isn't the most popular skimmer, but it is workking awesome with no noise and bubbles.