Red Slime problem

will28730

I have had a major outbreak of red slime, but this time the slime isn't easly removed, I cant just suck it out. I am having to scrub it off of the rocks. I have read past posts and have tried all the simple fixes.
I've tried turning out the lights and covering the aquarium for days, Shortened the time the lights are on. Did a 50% water change and 20% water changes every other week for the last month, Cleaned the sand bottom and scrubbed off all the rocks as good as I could, tried chemicial red slime removers. It just keeps comming back.
If you have any other ideas Im open to them.
I have also noticed my phosphate level has increased lately (last week and this week) so I am looking into getting a phosphate remover but what one will really do good job at removing phosphate? And couold the rise in my phosphate level be what is causing this problem or is it mutiple issues
This time it is so thick it has to be removed by hand with a brush.

splatee

I too am battling red slime. What are you feeding your fish and how often? Alot of it is from over feeding. Also what are your nitrates at? I am running phosphate remover in my canister but i am still having a problem, but it is not as bad. I was doing water changes once a month but now i am doing it every other week.

95harley

I finally gave in and tried a chemical. Boyd Enterprises Chemiclean Red Slime Remover ....and WOW.
Did a 20% water change 2 days later and it's 95% gone.
This my be on my routine pre-water changes for the next few months.
Eels, wrasse, crabs, feather dusters, calerpa, nothing showed any effects.
I'm impressed.

will28730

I have used the Chemiclean Red Slime Remover several times with little or no effect. I was feeding frozen but have switched back to a flake food feeding only once a day. My PH and nitrates are all normal. I took a piece of live rock covered by this crap and put in in a seperate tank, with it's own filter and dosed it with Chemiclean at 4 times the normal dose and the crap is still covering the rock, will have pictures up late wed (9 Jan 08)