RedBrown "Slim" Algae

gpenner

I have a 55GAl tank that is about 1.5 years in the making. For the past few months I have been battling this algae problem. The reddishbrown algae builds up on the glass and covers the entire inside of the tank. I scrape if off one night and within a few days it is back. It is like a slimly algae..mostly smooth.
I originialy had power compact lights so I figured the problem was with the aging lights. So, I upgraded to 350 watt MH retro fit lights. The algae problem is still there.
I also ordered two new power heads to improve flow which should arive tomorrow. Has anybody else experienced this? Am I making the right changes?
Thanks for the help.

ifirefight

Well,old bulbs can be a problem...but you said you replaced those with new MHs...check. Low flow can be a problem...but you have upgraded those also..check. While one or both of these may be your problem,we really need morei nfo on the tank. Are you using RO water?? Post your latest test results for you tank,as well as ,equipment,feeding schedule,inhabitants,etc...if you want the best,most accurate replies.

schmidbauermg

I am having the exact same problem, just cleaned it all off today as a matter of fact. I am using RO water....it just started though recently. Tank smells like algae now too. Didn't really before. I've never had an algae problem. Anything I can do to treat this? It annoys me.