Reducing Phosphates in a 500G reef .

ivasawajin

i have green hair algae problem , my PO4 is high . how can i reduce PO4 in a huge tank fast? and i know the root of the problem so i know ( overfeeding) .

snakeblitz33

Weekly 50% water changes. You have a 500g tank, so you probably need to purchase a 200g salt mix every single week until they come down. I'd also suggest gravel siphoning your sand bed really lightly, increasing your protein skimming capacity and before every water change blow off all of your rocks with a powerhead.
There's a lot that you can do... It just takes time to make these changes.

geoj

i have green hair algae problem , my PO4 is high . how can i reduce PO4 in a huge tank fast? and i know the root of the problem so i know ( overfeeding) .How much PO4?
In your attempted to kill off hair algae by lowering phosphates you will also kill off many corals, or at lest make them look terrible. Use Algaefix and QT instead.

ivasawajin

how can i make 250G sal mixes every week ? i dont have the room . and salt here is very expensive . its 6 times the prize of in the US . i think i should go with chemichals and changing my reactor medias and 15% water changes . salt the one of the most expensive parts of the hobby here if you dont want cheap chinese ripoffs

beaslbob

IMHO the single, best, and most effective way of reducing phosphates is to recycle them into fish food using the algae you are fighting.
In refugium with macro algaes can result in unmeasureable nitrates and phosphates.
Another way is to use an algae truf scrubber which would use the algae you are fighting.
If you lack room you could just partition your display so there is a small (1/8-1/4 display) area to grow algae and macros in and keep that seperated from the fish that would eat the algae.
my .02