Reef advise for bahamas and key west.

neowind

This kinda falls under reef catagory since I will be trying to find some great reefs so if someone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
I am going to Cococay Island, Nassau, Key West next week. Does anyone know any places that you can go in these locations that are good for snorkling? I will be unable to go scuba diving so I have some nice snorkling gear and was wondering if there were any good (free) spots to go snorkling thanks again!

lovethesea

first advise is to take me with you!!! :)
I snorkled in Nassau a few years back and loved it. You can't go wrong with most places that offer it. I think ScoobaQ just got back from Key West, don't know if he just snorkled or dove too.
Kip is right about Cayman, few others compare. I snorkled there. But vow on my reutrn I will dive!! :nervous:

saltsac

When you are in Nassau, try to go to the Exumas, there are a bunch of day excursions and the water is crystal clear there. If you want to take a nice snorkeling trip as well, go with Stuart's Cove, they have a nice snorkel trip for around $50 and you can snorkel with Reef Sharks at the end of the trip. I hope this helps, but I would definitely get to the Exumas if you can, Island World Adventures does an amazing day trip for around $140 and it includes unlimited drinks, lunch, snorkeling on 2 reefs and an beautiful island which you can explore and swim in the lagoon all day.

E

essop3

Coco cay is a nice private island owned by the cruise line. Just off the beach you will find some diffrent corals and fish. There is a plane wreck and ship wreck that were placed there to attract fish. To get the best of that island go to the back. There aren't as many people. That will all be free if you take your own equipment.

neowind

I went to the back of the island last year (CocoCay) and there was HUGE stingrays or mantarays swimming everywhere so I was scared to get into the water. Is there any dangers or things to watch out for on the back of that island? Sharks ect?

E

essop3

If they are in the back they are in the front. I know I saw a few rays in the front too.

streetdoc

I'm guessing you're going on a cruise then. Been to CoCo Cay (Royal Carribean) before. The snorkeling was not too great...too many people have ruined it. Been diving the keys before but on dive boats..not free but worth the money. Back to the Bahamas. If you are on a cruise and you stop in Nassau, then pay the money and go on the charter they offer. I took my girlfriend for her birthday and we booked the dive trip they had and it was some of the best diving we have done this close to the US. They took snorkelers also and they had a blast as well. Have fun and send PICs.:joy:

neowind

My girlfriend cannot swim so I was needing somewhere she can sit and watch safely on a boat or on the shore. I will check to see if she could sit on the boat and watch us. Thanks for the info. Anyone know if there is any good snorkling at Higg's Beach in Key West?

saltsac

You definitely should do it, it will be the best $160 you can spend in Nassau. You get to see so much from this trip, I have gone on it each of the 3 times I have been in the Bahamas.

neowind

What all do you get to do for the 160 bux salt? I went to that link and it looked cool but did not give allot of info about it.

saltsac

For the $160 you get the transportation to and from the island via those two speedboats. There are about 20 people on each boat and if you go, I strongly recommend not sitting in the back 2 seats, you will get pelted with water and believe me you will be crusted over with salt, not fun!! During the whole excursion, you have unlimited beverages; water beer, rum punch, etc. which is vey nice. Once you get to the island(about 40 minute boat ride), you will pull up to the dock and see nurse sharks and barracudas swimming n the clearest water you will ever see in your life. The island itself is very cool, there is a hut set up with a bar, with more drinks, and you also get a huge buffet style lunch, which was pretty good. You can feed your scraps to the fish after and then hag out in the huge lagoon. There are some pretty large fish swimming in the lagoon, I can't recall if they were bonefish or trumpetfish. Also, if you get lucky, rays will sometimes swim into the lagoon at around 2 or 3 i think. You can hang out at the lagoon all day or go snorkeling, which I know you wanna do. You get to goto 2 diff. spots depending on the currents and you will probably see giant eagle rays, we saw a huge one swim below us last year. You also get to hang out on a really cool sandbar that seems to go on for miles, the water here is super warm and the current flows strong. Did I mention all the drinks already??? You will have plenty of time to explore the island as well, and on your way back you stop at a small island inhabited by iguanas and you can feed them if you like. The Exuma islands are definitely worth exploring, they are protected islands and there is alot of unspoiled nature to see and this is definitely one of the best ways to do it besides chartering a boat for a few thousand. I hope that you get to go, I have been to the Bahamas 3 times and have done this trip every time. Sorry for writing so much, and any other questions you have, let me know. Oh yeah, I think you have to book a day in advance and you can call the number on the website.

scribben

i just read the thread about snorkelling in the bahamas does anyone know about a good place on the gulf by houston to louisiana to go we are headed there next week and sounds great
also i am having someone take care of my tank for the week any suggestions for me to give them on feeding and such

innsmouth

Anyone know if there is any good snorkling at Higg's Beach in Key West?
You won't find much there. All the big coral heads are up north in the Keys. Best thing to do in Key West if you have the time is take the trip to Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas and snorkel around the sea wall. It's pretty friggin' nice. We snorkeld off the coast of KW and didn't see much coral but some cool animals. Great Barracuda, Reef Squid, Angels and stuff but the Tortugas is where it's at.

neowind

Well just got home from the cruise and I had a great time!! I got to do some nice scuba diving including a close call with a HUGE baracuda. I really appreciate all the help and hopefully I can post a few pictures from the dives when I get them developed.

neowind

Here are some of the fish I came into contact with:
Atlantic Spadefish
Blue Chromis
Blue Tang
Great Barracuda
Grey Angelfish
Nurse Shark
Trumpet fish
Yellowtail Snapper (tons)
Various Stingrays