Reef Diver's Mantis Tank Diary, and the daily life of Davo the Mantis

reef diver

This log will keep track of all aspects of this tank including mods etc. It will also keep a log of its sole resident (aside from the dinner offerings of course) a mantis that I call Davo. The tank is currently up and running, cycle finished. And Davo is now carving out his new home, literally.
Lets start with the tank shall we??
JBJ 12 gallon Nano-Cube (reg)
-24watts of PC 50/50
-Back sump
-Sponge
-Ceramic rings (carbon tossed)
-Heater
15-16 lbs of LR
10 lbs of LS-3.5 inch bed
A Pic Will Come Soon
Near Future Plans:
-Exchange sponge for filterfloss
-Mod the second chamber into a refuge
-Upgrade the return pump
Livestock:
1 med frag of PSP
1 small frag of pipe organs
1 small Recovering Candycane
1 med Unknown
3 nassarius snails small
3 ex lg astraea snails
And the star resident Davo the mantis! (Neogonodactylus Wennerae) (species example seen at left)
Now on to Davo
Davo is a mantis of the species Neogonodactylus Wennerae which originates from the Northern Carribean, and ranges all the way to N. Carolina.
Pictures tomorrow!

grabbitt

I would LOVE to get a mantis, but being in a college apartment frequently occupied by idiots, I do not want to risk any of them sticking their fingers in the tank to play with the 'new drunk test'.
...It was hilarious, however, when they found out the lionfish was venomous

reef diver

lol, well I have to say, as they al ways say' its more scared of us than we are of it, they hide usually, unles it gets grabbed, in which case youll get smacked then stabbed.

reef diver

AHA! The Pics are here! The one decent FTS shot I have isnt that good at all. You can see the reflection from my 55 gal lights. And he was digging or something earlier so theres a lot of "water dust"

Just off center to the left, about halfway down in the tank you can see his cavity. He started with a small indentation in the rock and enlarged it to a mansion.

reef diver

My lfs, you can get them at ** PLEASE DO NOT LINK TO OTHER SITES THAT ARE IN DIRECT COMPETITION OF SWF.COM its against the board rules**

reef diver

New Pics!!!
Davo and the almighty feeding tongs!!!!! (Its his smacky toy, part on the back chipped off because of him)

Davo Posing For a Pic (hes still a bit shy to come out all the way for the camera, I think his reflection scares him :))

yerboy

nice mantis, i just got one yesterday and its in my 12g aquapod all alone. so far mine isn't shy at all.

reef diver

1. What type
2. Is it alone?
3. Has It made a cavity or burrow yet
4. If it is a spearer how deep is your Sand, because they require much deeper than normal 5" or so.

yerboy

Originally Posted by Reef Diver
1. What type
2. Is it alone?
3. Has It made a cavity or burrow yet
4. If it is a spearer how deep is your Sand, because they require much deeper than normal 5" or so.
1.Odontodactylus havanensis total max length just shy of 3"
2.Yes there is nothing else in the tank other then sand and LR
3.Yes he has already made a cave/burrow