Reef lights

Which kind of lights should I buy since I'm starting my tank pretty soon and want to eventually have some coral. I don't have much money I can spend so can you give me tips on some less expensive lights that can be used for a reef tank.

i have a 30 gal (36x12x16). I don't know what type of coral yet but I know I want a sea anemone. And maybe an open brain.

reeflooker

Before you get involved with corals, I would strongly suggest that you spend a lot of time researching and studying before you start. In addition to lighting, corals have special water requirements and filtration needs. This hobbie is not cheap. If you don't have the money to do it right, I would recommend that you resist the urge.

slick

Sorry man but I hate to see answers like this. He is here to learn and posts like that don't really help him out.
Ok disdominican a anemone and open brain will take quite a bit of light. I would suggest some VHO lighting. Depending on how much you can swing on lighting you have a few options. Your best bet would be to get a ice cap 660 ballast and run 4 36 inch 95w bulbs. That would give you 380 total watts of light. Giving you 12.6 wpg. This would cost you around $285 for the lights and ballast. You could get the end caps and other small stuff for cheap. I have seen retro fit kits also that you could get that would be a little cheaper.

bang guy

I like Slick's answer.
I would like to nudge you toward a tank propogated Bubbletip for your anemone. You'll have better luck and you won't be pulling one of these long-lived animals out of the ocean.

arkman

Go with the aquacultured/tank prop for sure. Good luck - this hobby cost a small fortune in money AND time.
BTW - I've got a tank up and runing for about a 1/3 of what is would cost new by buying used. My wife SCORED at a garage sale --- It was such a deal it was almost like stealing ;)
and on wednesday I bought a 45 long with stand, 250w MH, remora 1200 skimmer, set up w 40# LS and 40# LR - couple of corals and fish, test kit, additives, etc. for $400. He put in almost $1200. check the classifides --- and this board.

hairtrigger

Yeah Disco, most folks on here are really helpful. Arkman hit it on the head. There is nothing wrong with going used. Especially starting out. Check ---- for some awesome deals on equipment, lighting, tanks, etc. For the big stuff, locate it in your area. Good luck.:cool:

kennynj

THE BEST WAY IS TO GO SLOW,
READ UP ON THE LATEST INFO
AND DON,T BUY ON IMPULSE AT YOUR
LFS. MAKE SURE YOU CAN CARE FOR
WHAT YOU BUY. YOU MAY WANT
TO CONSIDER A PROTIEN SKIMMER
IF YOU DON'T ALREADY HAVE ONE.
THE ANSWER IS PATIENCE.

glinton

I bought an All-Glass 2X55 Watt PC strip light. It works great and was really inexpensive. I bought it used from this site for about $75. The bulbs last about 1 year and are about $25-30 bucks each. I am also going to use my 30W NO strip light as well. BTW, I have a 30gal also.
That is 140 watts total or 4.6 watts per gallon, which is good enough for most soft corals but not good for hard corals and it would be enough for bubble tips or open brains. Unless you are wanting the hard corals, I am not sure you need 12 watts per gallon. I am new at this, so make sure you get other opinions.
I am very pleased with the lights. I have a "baby" brain that came with some of my live rock and it seems to be growing just fine.
I would also make sure that you wait before getting an anenome. They need to have a mature tank to be able to thrive. So, start slow and have fun!!