Reef metal halide

jc78240

I have a 60 inch long x 24.5 inch wide aquarium. I am looking at the coral aqualight pro to begin a reef aquarium. however the size is 48 inches long with two 250 MH, the next size is 72 inches. I was thinking instead of buying the 48 inches one, buy three of the 24 inch 250mh and place them perpendicular. That would change the order of the lights instead of front to back, it would be side to side. Since I have never used this lighting system, I was wondering if anyone would have reasons why this would not work or look bad. Or am I just making this harder than it really is? thanks

reefnut

I don't see any reason it wouldn't work... but other manufacturers make 60" fixtures... or you could look into a canopy. I used to run 2-400w MHs w/ 2-110w VHOs over a 60" tank using a canopy.

krull001

you need to try and figure out what kinda of corals you want to keep! SPS, MPS, clams, and some LPS corals would do better under very intense light. you need to also check into HQI setups. HQI blubs get better penatration through the water which will give you corals a better color pegment. What are the messurments of your tank?

ejensen

I have a 48 inch lights over a 60 in tank. I Have the outer orbit with the 150 watts Mh. 4 inchs on each side look do not get that much light. You can put corals that don't like a lot of light there. If you have a canopy then it would work great. You just can't have a top on it because of heat.